1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***MORE CHIPS THAN SMOKE***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by threedeuces, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Lately I have been getting a lot more chips than that ball of smoke. They just don't seem like clean breaks.I am using an IM choke with 7/8 oz. shot. I know its hard for someone to cure my problem without seeing me shoot but any suggestions will help. Thanks in advance.

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Put more lead in your shells.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Change anything? Shot size, choke, amount of shot? Bill Malcolm

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

threedeuces

"Lately I have been getting a lot more chips than that ball of smoke. They just don't seem like clean breaks."

I will ask have your scores gone down or are you just not happy with the breaks? If the score are the same then I go along with everyone else you need to change something and see what happens. I would change to a full choke, Just my opinion

Bob Lawless

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

7/8 ounces of shot with an IM choke will turn targets inside out, if you are centering them. I assume you have smoked targets in the past with this combination?

If so, it ain't the shells, and it ain't the choke.

Look elsewhere. Gun fit, maybe? What has changed? Have you gained or lost weight? Have you checked your eyesight lately? Are you shooting less than you have in the past?

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Lately I have been getting a lot more chips than that ball of smoke."

That statement says to me, you've changed nothing at all. WAG, did you reduce the velocities any? Hap

7. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Personally - I have never shot 7/8 oz. loads for trap, but I DO often use 1 oz. handloaded recipes at 16-yd targets. When doing so, I often use 8.5 and 9 MAGNUM shot - mixed together. I use nothing BUT a straight MODIFIED extended- tube Briley choke, in a (standard) Krieghoff K80 with a 34 inch barrel.

This combination still yields enough smoke to make me happy, while reducing my costs to reload. I also highly doubt that using an IM choke is any part of the problem, unless you have altered your shell choice recently. IM is PLENTY of choke at 16 yards, given the quality of ammunition available today - even if you reload. Granted -- certain guns and their respective chokes tend to pattern different loads better / worse than others, but I still do not believe your choke is at the crux of the issue.

I would tend to agree with other posts before mine. Make sure the gun is set up to "center" the target with the bulk of your pattern. This will (of course) vary from shooter to shooter, depending upon the individual's timing and speed. Faster shooters can handle a higher POI than can a shooter who tracks a target for a longer period of time, before firing.

This "problem" you are facing can also be the direct result of target height, although I doubt that all of the places you shoot have altered the target presentation suddenly - and all at once. But... a high POI will not handle "low" targets well, or vice' versa.

You might want to put the gun on paper, assuming you have not already done so. Naturally -- if paper patterns show inconsistant or "blotchy" patterns, perhaps it is time to rethink the load you are using. Another decent "barometer" for how a particular gun / load combination is shooting, is to lock a trap on straight-aways and shoot from post 3. WATCH the target breaks carefully ; perhaps you can ascertain what needs to be done to your POI, by "how" the targets are breaking.

Prolly all stuff you already know, but I had a few minutes..........

8. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Keep your head down and concentrate on the target

Mike

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I agree with timb99!!! When all else fails, I always go back to basics, gun mounts,stance,turning properly and not coming out of the gun when swinging left right or even up and down. Its easy to get a bit lazy as we get into the 3-4 box of shells. Good Luck and Break-em all Jeff

10. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I just want to see more SMOKE!

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Choke for Smoke....Full Choke for Smoke.....Matt

12. Hap MecTweaks

Did you change anything? Were you getting "smoke" before with the same set-up? Hap

13. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Lately I have been getting a lot more chips than that ball of smoke. They just don't seem like clean breaks.I am using an IM choke with 7/8 oz. shot. I know its hard for someone to cure my problem without seeing me shoot but any suggestions will help. Thanks in advance.

14. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Put more lead in your shells.

15. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Change anything? Shot size, choke, amount of shot? Bill Malcolm

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

threedeuces

"Lately I have been getting a lot more chips than that ball of smoke. They just don't seem like clean breaks."

I will ask have your scores gone down or are you just not happy with the breaks? If the score are the same then I go along with everyone else you need to change something and see what happens. I would change to a full choke, Just my opinion

Bob Lawless

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

7/8 ounces of shot with an IM choke will turn targets inside out, if you are centering them. I assume you have smoked targets in the past with this combination?

If so, it ain't the shells, and it ain't the choke.

Look elsewhere. Gun fit, maybe? What has changed? Have you gained or lost weight? Have you checked your eyesight lately? Are you shooting less than you have in the past?

18. Hap MecTweaks

"Lately I have been getting a lot more chips than that ball of smoke."

That statement says to me, you've changed nothing at all. WAG, did you reduce the velocities any? Hap

19. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Personally - I have never shot 7/8 oz. loads for trap, but I DO often use 1 oz. handloaded recipes at 16-yd targets. When doing so, I often use 8.5 and 9 MAGNUM shot - mixed together. I use nothing BUT a straight MODIFIED extended- tube Briley choke, in a (standard) Krieghoff K80 with a 34 inch barrel.

This combination still yields enough smoke to make me happy, while reducing my costs to reload. I also highly doubt that using an IM choke is any part of the problem, unless you have altered your shell choice recently. IM is PLENTY of choke at 16 yards, given the quality of ammunition available today - even if you reload. Granted -- certain guns and their respective chokes tend to pattern different loads better / worse than others, but I still do not believe your choke is at the crux of the issue.

I would tend to agree with other posts before mine. Make sure the gun is set up to "center" the target with the bulk of your pattern. This will (of course) vary from shooter to shooter, depending upon the individual's timing and speed. Faster shooters can handle a higher POI than can a shooter who tracks a target for a longer period of time, before firing.

This "problem" you are facing can also be the direct result of target height, although I doubt that all of the places you shoot have altered the target presentation suddenly - and all at once. But... a high POI will not handle "low" targets well, or vice' versa.

You might want to put the gun on paper, assuming you have not already done so. Naturally -- if paper patterns show inconsistant or "blotchy" patterns, perhaps it is time to rethink the load you are using. Another decent "barometer" for how a particular gun / load combination is shooting, is to lock a trap on straight-aways and shoot from post 3. WATCH the target breaks carefully ; perhaps you can ascertain what needs to be done to your POI, by "how" the targets are breaking.

Prolly all stuff you already know, but I had a few minutes..........

20. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Keep your head down and concentrate on the target

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.