1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MORE BARREL RESIDUE WITH RELOADS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Since I started reloading some 8,000 odd rounds ago I've noticed my barrels have significantly more residue than they did when I was shooting factory shells exclusively (Estate, Rio, AA, STS, FGM).

Before, a squirt of Rem Oil and a quick once-through with my bore snake was all it took to clean things up. Now it takes a more aggressive effort.

I'm using American Select, CB8118, W209 and new Lawrence shot in premium hulls.

Is this typical of the experiences of others? I've read some of the posts related to different powders burning cleaner than others, which leaves me thinking this is a somewhat subjective topic.

Is the extra fouling attributable to the powder used alone, or do the rest of the components contribute as well?

Informed opinions are appreciated.

Guy Babin

P.S. On my way back to Elysburg to finish out the PA State shoot... can't wait!

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

What load are you using??? If the pressures in way low.. everything does not burn completely.. If you are loading lite loads.. Red Dot/Promo/E3 might be a better choice..

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'm using an Alliant recipe for 1 1/8 (492 gr) @ 1200 fps (20.0 gr AMSEL).

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

If you are you using a clay buster wad it is leaving some plastic in the barrel. They are known for more wad fouling than other brands. I refuse to use them for this reason. You may also be on the lower end of the pressure of your reloads and that will cause more powder residue. I like to keep my pressures between 9 and 10,000.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Lots of guys reload with chamber pressures on the lower side of the scale. Factory loads with the same mass will have higher chamber pressures and burn completely, hence cleaner.

Hap

6. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Try using Alliant E-3 very very clean burning. I shoot this shooting sporting clays, trap and skeet. I use 1oz shot, 18.5 grains, downrange wad, 1300fps and low recoil. Usually I'm on the go and can shoot 2 or 3 days in a row before having to clean and then its just a wipe out.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I use very low-pressure loads - 19.5 to 22.5 grains of PB with a Remington primer in STS hulls and an ounce or 1-1/8 ounces of shot with Downrange Windjammer clones and get literally no fouling of any kind, so I have to question low pressure being the culprit. I've also used similar recipes with Claybuster CB4100 wads as well as Remington TGT-12 wads without any fouling. And those loads have been used in three Krieghoffs, five Remingtons (two with tubes, two with fixed chokes and one with a Hastings barrel and choke) and two Berettas.

I know that's no help, Guy, but take it for what it's worth.

Ed

8. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

what hulls are you using?? the cb8118 should be for a straight wall hull.still, I would switch to a faster powder. still different hulls require different amount of powder.

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

CB81xx series are for tapered AA & STS, the CB21xx for the straight FGMs.

I load all three huls; however the vast majority are AA's

Guy B.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Guy, I looked at Alliants site for your 20 grain ASelect load for 1200 fps. Have you tried the extra 1/2 half grain loading the recipe calls for? In my loading manuals, some loads are listed as having better ballistics or balance for what it's worth too. Possibly a better burn?

Hap

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

No Hap I haven't. Until now I've chosen to split the difference between the 19.5 and the 20.5 recipes. I'll try the extra .5 and see if it makes a difference.

I'll have to experiment to find the best solution it seems. Just not sure where to begin... change to G-Dot maybe, try a different wad, hell, I don't know!

Too many choices, especially at the height of the State shoot season when I need more time to shoot and less time to reload.

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Notice a trend here?
    Use Downrange Wads?
    Dont Use Low Pressures if Possible?

There's your answers.

Mark

p.s. American Select is fairly clean... Green Dot...not so much. Downrange XL series = awesome patterns and little plastic residue.

13. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I measured 8 samples of Downrange and Clay Buster figure 8 wads.

The Downrange wads were on the average 0.020 of an inch smaller in diameter and about 0.062 inch shorter as well. Is it the smaller diamter that results in less plastic fouwling for the Downrange wads?

I shot more that 20 loads at the pattern board and found that, for me and my gun, the Clay Buster wads had a better pattern.

Charlie

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Hap,

A slight nuance I just noticed when re-checking the Alliant book...

The 20.5 gr is listed for CB3118s:

1 1/8 American
    Select® Win 209 CB 3118 12 18.5 grs 9000 psi 19.5 grs 10200 psi 20.5 grs 10700 psi

There is no listing for CB8118 (Fig. 8 clone) specifically.

I've been using the formula for Rem Figure 8, which Alliant verified was good for my CB8118 clones:

1 1/8 American
    Select® Win 209 Figure 8 & DRRF8 17.5 grs 8100 psi 19.0 grs 9400 psi 20.0 grs 9800 psi

Perhaps the formula works, but is not optimum... hmmm

15. JTEA

JTEA Member

Solo 1000 is very clean. Buy as large a container as possible to get the lowest price / lb.

Off to Elysburg tomorrow.

JT

16. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Hi Guy,
    Just my opinion,but you should try using a wad that does not use recycled plastics.Try using a DR wad,as they use only virgin plastic..........noticeably less fouling,and or residues...............
    Shoot up what you have,and give 'em a try.
    Are you going to Pa. State Shoot?
    If so,hope to see you there.

D.P.Reynolds

17. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

When we had loads tested we noticed up and down from an optimal load resulted in powder residue. This correlated to the standard deviation in the speeds. The more variation in the speeds, the dirtier the bbl.

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I haven't had any barrel residue since I limited my reloads to pressure at or above 9500 PSI. All of my formulas except 1 are at 10,000 and up. I load 1 oz and 1 1/16 oz loads exclusively with Claydot powder, DR wads and either Remington or Winchester hulls.

The standard deviation in velocity and pressure for my loads as tested is 7 or less for all of them and the barrel stays cleaner as an additional benefit.

MK

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Guy- I do not know how to respond. I shoot singles with 19.5 grains of American Select, Claybuster wads and AA cases. I find this load much cleaner than Estates and Federal Top Gun shells.

I would follow the advice of D.P.-- don't use a wad made from recycled plastics. But, fortunately, there are none of these made so I guess you really can't use one. Isn't it odd that a false 25 year old rumor can persist so long.

Pat Ireland

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

gdbabin try a little experiment(clean the barrel first)shoot 500 shells with CB8118 wads and then swab the barrel(this will probably go against normal practices)and see what is left in the barrel.

Then after a full cleaning use a brand name wad Remington, Winchester, Federal what ever and make the same comparison.

I found out years ago that using Claybuster wads will create more fouling in the barrel than in my case using Remington wads. I never paid a much greater price for Remington wads either. Only a few dollars more per case of 5000.

Try it you have nothing to loose.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

will cb8118 work in winchester aa