1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

More ballistics test results

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Capt. Morgan, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Some time ago, I posted the results of tests that were done on a 1 1/8 oz Rio-primed, Clay Dot powered handicap load that came out over pressure specs. The load was a Winchester/Clays load from Hodgdon converted to Rio/Clay Dot using adjustments suggested by the powder companies.

I did a 1 1/8 oz and a 1 oz load this time using Gun Club hulls and the data from the Rio Ammunition web site as a starting point. The samples are small; there were only 4 of each formula of the 1 1/8 oz. loads and 5 each of the 1 oz. loads. They were all production shells right out of my PW 900 although the powder drops were captured, weighed and recorded before being dumped into the hulls. My goal was to see if I would be producing ANY over-spec loads using the published data I had selected to follow.

For the 1 1/8 oz load:

-- once-fired Gun Club (or STS) hull<br>-- Rio 209/G-600 primer<BR>-- 17.5 grains Clays powder<BR>-- OEM Remington "Figure 8" wad
    This formula was rated to produce a velocity of 1185 FPS and a pressure of 11580 PSI, which is already 80 PSI over the SAAMI max for 12 ga. shells.

Since nearly the same formula appears in the 2006 Hodgdon reloading data tables using a Winchester primer and Clays powder, I decided to also test a load using the same amount of powder (as per Alliant's instructions) and a Rio primer.

The 4 shells loaded with the Rio/Clay Dot formula produced pressures ranging from 11280 PSI to 12740 PSI. (11500 is SAAMI maximum)

The 4 shells loaded with the Winchester/Clay Dot formula produced (surprise to me!) pressures that ranged from 12460 PSI to 13690 PSI.

When the powder charge weight was dropped to 17.0 grains in the Rio/Clay Dot formula, the pressures dropped into a range from 10930 PSI to 12070 PSI with 3 of the 4 shells being over safe pressure.

The velocities are not available. The computer program that measures the data does not report complete data if there are any over-pressure loads in the test batch so as to not generate complete data on unsafe loads.

For the 1 oz. load, the data again came from the Rio Ammunition web site:

-- once-fired Gun Club (or STS) hull<br>-- Rio 209/G-600 primer<BR>-- 17.9 grn "Clays" powder<BR>-- OEM Remington TGT-12 wad
    This formula was rated to produce a velocity of 1235 fps and a pressure of 10,599 PSI.

This load, tested in 5 shells as published with the substitution of Clay Dot powder, produced pressures ranging from 9440 PSI to 11240 PSI and velocities ranging from 1252 FPS to 1277 FPS.

Dropping the powder charge weight from 17.9 grains to 17.2 grains produced the following results:

-- using the TGT-12 wad, pressures from 9790 PSI to 10460 PSI, velocities from 1237 FPS to 1252 FPS

-- using the DownRange XL 1 green wad, pressures from 9940 PSI to 11350 PSI, velocities from 1253 FPS to 1286 FPS

There were also 5 shells tested using the Claybuster CB 8100-12 wad but that data was not transmitted to me due to a technical glitch. I will report it when I receive it.

The results are available to whoever wants them although it may take a few days for me to turn them around if I get any requests. Remember that there is no velocity data for the 1 1/8 oz loads!

Morgan

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Captn, did you have an independent lab do the testing on these loads? What exactly made you choose these load combinations for testing? I don't use Rios or the claydot or clays powders but I find your results interesting. With liability laws being what they are these days the results come as a surprise. Thanks for sharing sir. Hap

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Cap, how is that pressure being measured?

Neil

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The tests were all conducted by Kevin Lewis at Downrange Manufacturing at his facility in Hastings Nebraska using the same equipment he uses to develop and test his wad designs. He measures pressure with a new digital Kissler 5015A, the same equipment used by Hodgdon and the military.

The combinations I tested were evolutions of Winchester primer/Clays powder/Gun Club hull combinations I used when I started reloading some years ago. I collected the data books, sought input and eventually tested 47 (yes, I have records) combinations before settling on a few. When less costly powder and primers came along, I switched but felt uncomfortable with suggestions for substitution but no reliable data. Hence my own personal tests.

I have tried to adjust my PW 900 to produce crimps of ± .040" in depth and I realize that there are other factors that could contribute to my results being different from the published data, but I want to know what MY loader is producing, and I believe I can trust the data Kevin generates.

Morgan

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would very much like to see the raw results.

Pat Ireland
    885 Mountain View Drive
    Christiansburg, VA 24073

FAX- 540-382-5403

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I can send the results by land mail, Pat, but since they were sent to me in PDF files by email, it would be quicker if I sent them to you that way.

Morgan

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

Morgan nicely done. Several of us have gone through some issues with Promo at the opposite end of the spectrum last winter. Pressure appears to vary by manufactures lot number with Promo, not sure about Clay dot but I’d keep track of your lot number for historical reference. Not that it really matters I think your tests conducted by Kevin are conclusive enough.

I normally crimp at .055 and quite a few others crimp deeper than .040 so pressure would be even a little higher. I’ve gone full circle trying to save a little money here and there but found it wasn’t worth it in the long run. For 1 oz. ended up back with Clays and W209, it works and is safe. Thanks for sharing your test results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.