1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mopar Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BILL GRILL, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I am building a 72 Dart, with 402 ci 430 hp crate motor. Need header advice for car that will be daily driver. Car has RMS alterktion front so torsion bars and steering gear are gone. Lots of room. Thanks, Bill

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC01286.jpg" target="_blank"> DSC01286.jpg </a>

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Whatever you get, have them ceramic coated Inside to control heat and erosion and if you want, outside for appearance. That is a motorcycle header trick that actually makes sense. Ceramic coated only on the outside actually rots away faster than plain pipe. Nice project!

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'll 2nd Leo's recommendation for Ceramic coated. Anything else will be half ass and look like crap after a just a few months of driving. The Ceramic can take the heating and cooling abuse and will look good for a long time. Of course they will cost more.

4. letts

letts TS Member

Ist obtain a few old Ithaca shotguns, I think two sxs and two OU would be enough for a small block as you have. on second thought as the proper length for ea. pipe is about 30 inches you will need four of each type of shotgun and maybe on 8gage to use for the collectors. Chuck and Art I am sure could weld up an exhaust system
    in just a few hours after fish at the Cozy Friday night.

Letts

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Uh-oh, why do I think Letts may be a yooper? What are you letting out of the new gun room to finance that car? Darn! Why doesn't that surprise me? Good luck with it Bill as I wouldn't know one end from the other. I suspect it may have some get up and go when you're done. :)

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

TTI would be the ones to use, I have a Hemi in a Ply Belvedere Body and they bolt right up and into the exhaust system ... I have the Ceramic coat and they look as good as they work ... Mancini out of Califiornia is a dealer for them and they have an ad in the Mopar Mag every month ... WPT ... (YAC)
    wpt_2008_0303_1222.jpg

wpt_2008_0303_1223.jpg

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Go big! It will breathe better. 2.5" or bigger?

8. grntitan

"Go big! It will breathe better. 2.5" or bigger?"

Sometimes bigger is not better. You can loose HP/TQ simply by opening up the exhaust too much. Engines need a certain amount of back pressure in order to function to its best potential. I have seen HP/torque curves completely ruined by simply changing the exhaust system. I have also seen HP/TQ increases by simply changing the mufflers to another style. The ideal thing would be to try several different sizes in conjunction with a Dyno. Since thats not practical for the vast majority of us, you may want to do some reading/asking on a Mopar site. Just say'n........................

9. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Back pressure? Reversion can happen! He did say this will be a daily driver, therefore it will have collectors (reducers) and mufflers.

There will be 8 individual exhaust pulses, 4 per side. Properly tuned headers will work these pulses to keep the volocity of the exhaust moving down the system, "scavenging".

I could only find 1 7/8" and 2" in a Hooker header for this motor.

My 400 Pontiac(approx 425HP) has 2.5" stainless headers and exhaust through dual mufflers.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Damn my engine bay looks empty next to WPT's thanks for help guys will get Mancini on phone this afternoon.

Bob, Car has been a 7 year project. It got put on the back burner when I started back shooting and the gun room. Time to get it done. And yes Letts is a born and bred Yooper. Regards, Bill

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The TTI headers on that Hemi are 2.25 tubes into a 3 1/2 collector but thats 472 cubic inches, that turned the dyno at just a tad over 600 HP (6400 RPM on the tach, built to shift at 6700) on 91 Octane pump gas ... We painted the engine to look like a factory 426 Hemi but its a long way from it ... The heads are Stage V and are Aluminum, roller rockers, shafts and hold downs are all Stage V, beside the intake being aluminum and match ported to the heads with 2-750's on top ... We figure between the heads and intake we eliminated almost 90 pounds off of the engine, not to mention the Ross High Dome Comp pistons that have been cut to eliminate weight within 10 grams of each other, so its all internally balanced and idles with quite a lope because of the .571 Roller by Comp Cam but does not shake much ... It wakes up big time when you jump on it so you better have your seat belt on and pay attention ... The 3500 stall is plenty to get it ready to launch and the 4:10's in back make sure it can hook up with the right tires on it ... Since the pictures the battery now lives in the trunk, needed a little extra weight back there to help it plant the back tires ... Yes Sir, thats my Baby ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

WPT: my carbs are crooked! Should I take a saw and make them straight!!! Birdtracker

13. grntitan

Nothing neater than dual quads. Not even a six pack in my eyes.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

birdtracker,

What body do you have that in ..? Is that the repro 440 ..? looks new from here ... Nice ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. birdtracker

That is a 440 block with Max Wedge heads and intake in a 65 Coronet 500. Red with white interior and white top. Oh yea its a convertible. It has the big manifolds with the factory dumps! Birdtracker

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm one of those 2 door sedan type of guys for the added strength and to keep them from twisting, besides they are a lot lighter ...

Sounds like you got a nice set up for cruise night ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
    wpt_2008_0303_1224.jpg

wpt_2008_0303_1225.jpg

wpt_2008_0303_1226.jpg

wpt_2008_0303_1227.jpg

wpt_2008_0303_1228.jpg

17. birdtracker

this is my all time favorite drag car. If I ever hit the lottery, I will have one to go shooting in. Birdtracker

18. birdtracker

here is a picture of the motor in my 74 Dart Sport. I drive this on the street and bracket race it. It has roll down windows and a factory sunroof. I used a 70 Duster front end, and Daytona door handles. Birdtracker

19. birdtracker

here is one of the car. Birdtracker

20. grntitan

Birdtracker--Now that red car is sick!!! That reply was from my 17yr old. I'm told that means its bad ass. I'll agree... I want a ride in that sucker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.