1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MONTE CARLO VS. STRAIGHT TRAP STOCK

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I am 5'8", fat, no neck, and ugly! some shooter said i have the perfect shape to be a good shooter???? I use a monte carlo stock, my beads line up as a figure 8. he could not believe with my shape, that i use a monte carlo trap stock. he said people with no neck like me, should only use a straight trap stock, why? he also said he was at a disadvantage being tall, and having a long neck. i have seen some great shooters that are tall, what is he talking about? also could you name some good stocky no neck shooters from the past, as well as some good tall shooters? is there an advantage in trap being short, fat, no neck and ugly???( forget the ugly part)
    steve balistreri

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Excess body weight is not helpful but a short neck does help. A short neck reduces the distance between the shoulder and the eye. This makes it much easier to get a gun to properly fit and it facilitates consistent gun mounting.

Pat Ireland

3. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Steve -
    I am always surprised at the number of Trap stocks (I.E.: parallel comb) that there are out there with no monte-carlo. For the most part, these really only seem to properly fit a person with no neck (in my experience anyway). The taller of us (I'm 6'2") would find ourselves either craning our neck a long ways down to get our head on the stock, or mounting only the tip of the pad on the top of our shoulder (or both). and will typically need an adjustable buttplate moved down, to, in essance, mimic a monte-carlo stock. A person with no neck can often mount that stock in their usual (read comfortable) spot on their shoulder and be quite comfortable with it. Having said that, if you are comfortable with the monte-carlo stock, keep shooting it. If it isn't a good fit for you, you probably are shooting with your head uncomfortably straight up, which in some, but not all people, can cause you to, for instance, be having problems with right and/or left angle birds. I've learned that trying to guess a persons gun fit by looking at them can be risky, and their may be other factors involved here such as a slightly lower than normal pocket in the shoulder where you mount. If you think that there might be some validity to the comment, then maybe find a good gun fitter to consult with. If not ... forget about it! Oh, and sorry ... can't help you with ugly! Mike Gregory

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, my over sized friend says his neck ain't short, he just has higher shoulders than most? :) Hap

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

brownk80 - Great answer

senior smoke - Pat an Michael have the detailed answers.

Rollin

6. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Sounds like you're tailor made for a Ljutic.
    Dan

7. Trapgeezer

Trapgeezer TS Member

My observations would lead me to believe that you might want to shoot over a straight stock. I'll tell you why. Many (read most) shooters I have watched, with your physical attributes, tend to place their face quite far back on the stock when they mount the gun. The heel of the monte carlo appears to contact their cheeks rather than the flatter/smoother portion of the stock farther forward. Many complain of the affect of recoil in this instance and more than some have bruises, bandaids and a case of chipmunk cheek. A straight stock would eliminate this condition by offering you an uninterrupted flat, smooth place to put your cheek. Just a thought on my part. YMMV ...

8. Chris

Chris TS Member

Let me add my 2 cents!

Take a BT99 Monte Carlo stock gun and put side by side with a BT 99 Straight stock gun and tell me the difference........The sighting plane will be the same!!!!!!!!!

Other then the notch cut out at the back of the gun, look under the two stocks to see the difference........

Isn't the rib going to line up the same whether or not you have a short neck or a long neck?

Chris

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

borwnk80 - if the drops at the comb are equal, the Monte Carlo stock will mount lower on the shoulder.

That does not preclude short-neck shooters from using Monte Carlo stocks, however. The same people who make apple peelers also make neck stretchers. Neck stretchers do not stretch necks as quickly as apple pealers peel apples but they are more painful.

Rollin

10. Chris

Chris TS Member

Here is a picture of a BT99 straight stock and a Bt99 Monte Carlo stock...

Same gun just different finish.(This is for illistration purpose).

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Can you see the difference?

Thanks!

Chris

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hellO:
    great comments! i am going to pick up a straight stock and see what stock i like better.
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are monte carlo stocks parallel comb
is a monte carlo stock good for trap

monte carlo stock for trap shooting

monte carlo vs normal trap stock
monte carlo vs other stock
trap long neck montecarlo
what is the purpose ofmonte carlo roll over comb