1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Monte carlo or conventional comb

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gunsmoke77802, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunsmoke77802

gunsmoke77802 TS Member

So I am looking to buy a new ou trap gun. I can't figure out how/why to go with one stock style verses the other. Any help or insight. Got measured a while back and was given these measurements:Drop @ comb – 1 ½”, Drop @ heel – 1 ½”, Drop @ butt – 3 3/8”. If I get an unsingle will a monte carlo allow me to get closer to the drop @ butt? I imagine I'll still need to put on an adjustable butt plate to get that deminsion.

thanks

2. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

To get 3 3/8 drop from any recoil pad you will need an adjustable. Having a monte carlo stock to start with will get you closer and will require a less extreme adjustment. Not any old buttplate system will work. Many will drop no more than 1 inch. Our buttplate system goes 1 1/2 and I can use a long slot plate to go even further. I normally do not solicit work from this site, only give advise and encourage shooters to seek out a professional fitting session. In all fairness to my competition I must say that our plates are not the only ones that will exceed 1 inch drop. Im advising you to do your homework before you spend your money. You can see our system at the above URL. If you like it, give us a call. 256-360-2406 Yours in shooting, Todd Nelson

3. tachyon

tachyon Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

A working link.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There are two basic styles of monte carlo stocks.<br>
    <br>
    One of them has the same exact comb height as a straight trap stock. Only the heel drops down to put the buttpad lower. This is what Remington has done with their factory monte carlo trap stock. It's an optical illusion that the comb on this stock is higher than their straight comb stock.<br>
    <br>
    The other kind would be a monte carlo that has a higher comb than either of the above two stocks. Some stocks for some guns are made this way. Using the example of the Remington stocks, you would have to add an adjustable comb and raise it up higher.

5. johnpe

johnpe Member

I'm not exactly sure what the "drop at butt" is. By definition, the drop at the heel is the same as the drop at the very back end of the stock and this includes a normal recoil pad. Other than that, it seems like the results of your fitting session is recommending a parallel comb. However, a parallel comb is essentially the same as a monte carlo if the butt plate is left out of the equation. Then, with an adjustable butt plate, the drop from the top end of the stock to the top of the butt plate can be quite a bit.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'm a little confused by your terms? Assuming you mean "drop at the comb" 1 1/2" (level comb) and "drop at the heel" (of the butt) 3 3/8"----------That sounds like an awful lot of drop at the heel?

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

monte carlo comb

monte carlo stock heel and comb drop