1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Montana gun law

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by xringjim, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Montana is trying to keep the Federal government out of the state's business. By building guns within the state and having the Feds not have any control over these guns. There's a little more to it. But that's the 'gist' of it. BUT, the Feds don't like the idea and are willing to challenge it. Now, the 'flip' side. Here in Ca. they passed a law that makes it illegal to purchase loaded ammo from OUTSIDE the state. Here's what I don't get. The Feds have no problem with this law. Now follow my thought; how is it o.k. to cut off commerce from outside the state (ammo sales) but not o.k. to allow a state to control weapons constructed wholely within the state? Seems to be a disconnect to me. How is it right to cut off the citizenry within Ca. from doing that which is legal in every other state? Or, the Federal government dictating what goes on within a state? You just can't have it both ways. Jim Price

2. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Well, you shouldn't be able to have it both ways, I agree with you. But that's not how liberals think. I dealism has not physical bounds. That shouldn't be too hard for anyone to confirm?

Incidentially the "out of state" ammo law is being challenged under the grounds of restraint of trade and interstate commerece, so it is not clesar if it will go into effect or not.

On another note; one that will go into effect, is the "Microstamping Law" which says all new semi auto pistols will have the Microstamping feature included.

The original think was that no company would comply and just not sell pistols in CA. and hopefully not to law enforcement either. FAT chance! Cops can still buy anything they want. and,,, I have already been made aware that several companies are showing their new CA compliant AR-15's with "bullet buttons"at the SHOT Show.

I will be chastizing them verbally and calling them everything but white men for taking the profit over the principle. I also will not be buying anything from these companies!!!

You see the CA market is just too big to ignore. So someone will always do what is necessary to sell there.

If all of the gun MFG's and distributors stopped selling to Law Enforcement in this state all of the bullshit legislation would go away immediately. That will never happen for the above reason.

This is the biggest problem we face as gun owners. We can't get any kind of solidarity going because "Your Particular Special Interest" always gets in the way.

I personally think that every one who buys a gun should be made to join the NRA as a part of the sale. Whether or not you like the NRA is not the object here. The consolidation of gun owners is the object. There are way too many gun owners who think "oh, this law won't affect me" and choose to stay in the shadows, and do nothing. 100 million gun owners versus 4-5 million NRA members, kind of tells the story, doesn't it?

I say grow a spine! Stand up for something!

If you're not with us, you're against us. simple as that.

Randy

3. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I have a couple of questions about the proprosed law in California. If it is proposed or an actual law about the purchase of ammunition from out of state manufacturers. Exactally who is pushing for this law? The instate ammo makers or the far left anti=gun people? Why would the anti's agree to a law like this? Who is to profit from this law? Better look into that before you get behind the movement to stop it you might be battleing yourself. When free commerce is stopped it could cause a landslide and put a lot of people back to work making the goods and products we can't get from other areas. The prices of those goods and services will go up for a time and bring in more revenue for the bankrupt state. I think this is a heck of a deal. The people who will profit from it are in the same group that will be cut out of making a profit. All republican business owners. The small manufactors and the importers. They will be spending their money to lobby for and against this bill. The anti's will be sitting back and enjoying the show. Seems to me this is a bill for the profit of one group and not really anti's legislation at all. I could be wrong here but that's the way it seems to me. Dan

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No such law in effect in Ca. at this time. HMB

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

The law I am talking about goes into effect Feb 1 2011. It has already been signed, and it was pushed thru a heavily baised Democrat run legislature and signed by Arnold.

It is being challenged in court and will rpobably be shot down, but none of the out of state ammo suppliers are shipping any more ammo to CA after about next week..

I will not do business with Cheaper than Dirt and several others in the future because they did nothing to oppose this law but still want me to buy their crap. I can get anything they sell at my local Walmart or Surplus stores so why do I need them!

They just see me a potential revenue.

Randy

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"When we get ready to hang the capitalists they'll be standing in line to sell us the rope"

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Dehaub:

FWIW, like just about everything else on this site, things get twisted a bit. The law does not ban ammunition from out-of-state manufactures in CA at all. It prohibits you (CA citizens)from mail ordering (or internet)ammunition. It doesn't mean retailers can't stock ammo from out-of-state manufacturers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.