1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Monster Hog was a Pet Hog.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gargoyle!, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

This was in the local paper and on the Today show. They also said it was a 5 year old pig.

As the paper said Fruithurst, Ala- The huge hog that became known as "MONSTER PIG" afterbeing killed by an 11 year old boy was raised on a farm where it had another name: Fred.

Phil Blissitt said he purchased the 6 week old pig as a christmas gift for his wife Rhonda, and they sold it to the owner of Lost Creek Plantation after deciding to get rid of all the pigs at their farm.

He told the Anniston Star in a story Fri that the sale was 4 days before the hog was killed in a 150 acre fenced area of the plantation.

I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig." Rhonda Blissitt said.

The Blissitts said they didn't know the huge hog drawing widespead media attention was Fred until they were contacted by Andy Howell, game warden for the Ala Dept of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries, whose agency found that no laws were violated in the hunt.

"Did you see that pig on TV? Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking. I said yeah, I had one about that size.' He said NO that one is yours'.

That's when I knew

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when he learned that some thought the photos of Fred were doctored.

That was a big hog". he said.

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Well-Known Member

I wonder if the guy told the man and his son some big cock and bull story about how they had been seeing a big hog but that nobody could get it. Jeez... That kid isn't going to feel too proud after this knowing he could have just walked up to it and shot it in the head or instaed of shooting it feed it a hanful of corn. Oh well.. I don't undestand the mentailty of canned hunts but people must love them as those places are all over the country. I wonder what the "Trophy" fee for that tame pig was.Jeff

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Canned hunts are for those with money and no desire to hunt an animal on it's terms.They serve no purpose but to make a lazy hunter feel like they did something special!This dad should be proud of what he has taught his son.If you have the money you can by anything and it is as simple as that.I can not believe anyone would feel proud of this type of hunting.

4. grammie

grammie TS Member

Now ya see???? See how this sort of "thing" can set people against hunting and "guns" in general!!!!

I could say something like,,,,"why didn't they just turn the neighbors horse loose and bag it",,not much differance"!!! But I won't!!!

Texas style "canned hunts" or even rifle hunting over bait,,,pisses me off!!!!

I have nothing against hunting!!! But thats just it isn't it??? You can't call that "hunting"!!!!! No way!!!

Yes,,an animal like that could be truly dangerous!!! And one like that could easily down and eat a human being if left on its own,,any mid-western boy knows this!!!

But it wasen't "wild" or turned "feral",,,it was bought after being raised and fed by humans!!!

Moves us back 25 spaces in the "ethics" department...........

AKA Grammie..........

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

zaranut, you need to pull your head out of your rectum: Grannie has never been right yet and never will be.

6. grammie

grammie TS Member

Bad Trap:

I never said tame!!! Nope never did!! Unfortunatly it seems your grandfather let his guard down and took a "sow" for granted!!!

Irfner:

You know what the differance is!!!! No one has to tell you,,,somewhere down deep,,a little voice that tells you so....

AKA grammie.......

7. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

What Larry/Oh related reminds me of something from my childhood. I grew up on a farm. One day I (and the kid from the neighboring farm) invented a dumb game. While the sow was in the outside pen at the slop trough, we'd jump the fence into the inside pen and swat the piglets with brooms. Naturally, they squealed and the sow came rushing back in though the opening. We'd jump back over and laugh our heads off. We'd wait awhile until the sow went back out, then do it again. Until my Dad caught us and beat the $hit out of us. That sow would have killed (and eaten) us. So I don't think you can assume "hogzilla" would have been exactly "safe" to approach.

Nevertheless, intentional or not, this was not hunting, and I doubt "hogzilla" was as wary of humans as a wild boar.

We slaughtered livestock for our own use, didn't bother me much, we tried to be humane and quick. Likewise for hunting. (Guys who seem to enjoy the killing itself for its own sake make me nervous). And I suspect many NON-hunters assume all hunters are blood-crazed killers. "Canned" hunts, it seems to me, would tend to re-inforce that impression. I don't want to be judgemental about it, as all I know about it is what I've read. But I'm uneasy with the very idea of a "canned" hunt.

8. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I went on a guided hog hunt twice, and neither one was canned. Indeed, I kind of wished one of them had been, because I didn't even see a hog and went home empty handed. I don't like "canned hunts" but with developers and ritzy hunting clubs buying up all the hunting lands I think we are in danger of that being the only "hunting" experience the average person can afford in a few years. And those that deer hunt over corn feeders have no room to talk, because those deer are as tame as "Fred".

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Devils Advocate Well you seem to be itching to tell all of us how much you seem to know about hunting "today" so i am waiting.Maybe i hit a nerve with you because you are one of these lazy slobs that think shooting something in a pen is hunting.If you agree with it just let us all know that.I stated my opinion and it will be in the majority.Now state which side of the fence you stand on.In the pen or in the wild.

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

My view is that canned hunts, planted birds, etc are not my cup of tea and not hunting to me. But I am not vehement in opposition to them either.

What bothers me is that they spent three hours and shot it three times (no telling how many shots they took at it) trying to kill this hog in a fenced in and restricted area. This is not sport and it's certainly not humane harvesting. If the kid can't shoot better than that with a pistol, don't let him. Hell, if the pistol is not a .454 or the like, its not an appropriate weapon to kill this size animal and its a travesty that they plugged a farm raised animal full of holes and chased it around wounded for half the day. I doubt an 11 year old could handle a pistol appropriate for this animal (and not have his wrists in casts afterward).

I find the whole story repugnant.

11. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Great story. Fat redneck kid fires 16 rounds from .50 cal pistol, misses barn-sized pig at least ten times. LOL!! He and redneck father chase pig for three hours before finally killing it. LMOA!!! Pig was farm-raised, not feral, and had no fear of people. Great white hunters. LMFAO!!!! Then they put up a website describing their great hunt. They need to air up the wheels on their trailer. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

12. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I am a supporter of "fair chase" hunting and always will be, but this whole set up gives true hunting a bad name(to put it litely). Shooting a pet hog inside an incloser IS NOT hunting! Any real hunter will respect a game animal enough to hunt it in an ethical manner and put it out of it's misery quickly. The part about plugging it 16 times with a pistol is truly sad. This type of stuff only gives the antis ammunition to furter their cause.

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I am a supporter of "fair chase" hunting and always will be, but this whole set up gives true hunting a bad name(to put it litely). Shooting a pet hog inside an incloser IS NOT hunting! Any real hunter will respect a game animal enough to hunt it in an ethical manner and put it out of it's misery quickly. The part about plugging it 16 times with a pistol is truly sad. This type of stuff only gives the antis ammunition to furter their cause.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Is shooting Doves over a cut grain field a canned hunt?

Pat Ireland

15. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Grammie

Just what is "Texas style hunting"? As far as hunting over food plots, that's no different that hunting deer who are eating acorns under a tree. You're a fool and your big mouth is just what the anti's like.

16. grammie

grammie TS Member

Duckman:

Another nimrod who can't tell the differance!!!!!!

Acorns!!!!! Mast!!!!! Acorns are a crop that only happen once a year!!! And sometimes even that crop of acorns comes to nothing,,,,they may drop early from the wind,,,they may get too wet from an early storm and rot!!! So its not a food that is ALWAYS THERE!!!! ALWAYS RELIABLE!!! Thats the differance!!! Its too bad your're not enough of a "hunter/outdoorsman" to know!!!

Animals know where they are fed!!! And will continue to keep coming back!!! When acorns go bad,,,or the crop is small,,,the animals go ELSEWHERE!!!!

"ELSEWHERE" requires you to get your fat ass out your pick-up truck,,and actually walk!!!!

Its a shame you don't know the differance between a natural food source,,,,and one that man takes a hand in!!!!

It is not "fair chase"!!!!! But that is something you will never understand!!!!!

AKA Grammie...........

17. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Grammie

How many deer have you snuck up on with your model 94 or long bow? Texas is a big state with lots of different hunting styles. My friend hunts muleys out in W. Texas and does a lot of spot and stalk type hunting. I guess since he's a Texan, he doesn't measure up to your standards if he shot one out of stand looking down a sendero.

See ya later, I gotta go fill up my protien feeders....

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gordy- I do not like canned hunts, but simply because I do not like them, that does not mean others should not like them. I do recognize a broad continuum between a canned hunt and a total free wilderness hunt.

Pat Ireland

19. grammie

grammie TS Member

Duckman:

I do not rifle hunt,,,I am well past the age where killing something everytime out means success or failure!!! Many times in the past,,when conditions permit,,I have been within ten yards of nice-full-racked bucks,,either still-hunting in a light rain,,or from a stand....

Remember,,,I live in Arizona,,,,a "hunt" here in the Arizona back-country usually requires horses or mules,,and a guide,,if new to the country!!! I would rather just watch game animals V.S. shooing them anytime!!!

Its not that I have anything against hunting,,,No,,not at all,,,But I am fortunate to be able to live in an area where Bear,Moutain Lion,Bobcats,Elk,Mule Deer,Desert Mule Deer,,Antelope,White Tail,Desert Bighorn,,,even Wolfves roam freely around the country-side!!! I enjoy my encounters in the back-country of Arizona,,,I get what I need from my surroundings,,,and anymore would just rather watch............

AKA Grammie...........

20. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

Well, heres my 2 cents worth... i just got back from hunting wild hogs in Florida. i was in a piece of property over a mile square. yes there was a fence, but there were areas were the hogs could go over to the indian reservation, or hogs could come in.they just burrowed under. i killed the second largest hog killed on the property with my ruger sbh 44 mag open sights.
    it weighed 406 pounds, and let me tell you it was a very dangerous situation,that hog could of charged me any minute. there are 3 types of hog hunts in my opinion.... pen raised hogs released in a penned in area, wild hogs that are trapped, later to be released. and the way i hunted .... fair chase wild hogs born and died on the property.i prefer my hunt.luckyshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.