1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Monitoring Target - Trap usage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ponderosa_boy, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponderosa_boy

ponderosa_boy TS Member

We operate our club with approximately 15 members having keys and a rotating responsibility to open the club on weekends. They also have the right to open the club whenever they wish outside of posted operating hours. We have some problem with accountability of targets used.

Is there any system out there that will monitor the usage of the traps? i.e. date and time stamp an elctronic record each time a trap is released in order that this data could be analyzed ?

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

It sucks when the honor system fails. With only 15 key holders, you probably know who is doing it.

Our club has a monitored alarm system so we know who is opening/closing the club by date and time. People can still "steal" but with less than 8 people having access we have been lucky not to see any abuse.

There is no system that cannot be defeated. The old saying is "A Lock only protects you from an "honest" person."

Don Verna

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I am not aware of a system to do specifically what you're asking for. I would suggest a call to Bob Schultz about their Target Mizer system. I'm sure they could program some special features for you so that you at least get paid for what's being shot. You will need to decide if your present losses justify the expense of the system. They are good people to deal with and the information is free. Good luck, Bob

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

The Pat trap has a counter. If the opening and closing counts are taken each time the machine is used it may help determine just who is helping themselves to free targets.

I know it happens, what a shame!!!!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you have an alarm system you can have it set up for different user codes, and records of who deactivated and activated, at what times.

The simple way is to have shooting reports for open hours, filled out by the operator, and a sheet for individuals to report their rounds.

Periodic target counter readings will give you the audit capability you need.

I wouldn't put the effort into it till the shrink got over 10 percent or more.

If targets are disappearing outside of open hours you may need to stop that type of shooting, or at least threaten to.

HM

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

One club I belong to sells the targets to the members in case quantities. Then they load the trap and shoot.

Regards

W&W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.