1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MONEY rules at Marengo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by K80433SC, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I have been trying (unsuccessfully, I might add) to get some measure of satisfaction from the Cardinal Center Campground for the Ohio State Tournament in June. From an earlier thread concerning their "business practices", I am assuming that I am not alone in my quandary.

I attended the 2007 Ohio State Shoot last June. It was my first trip to the grounds in Marengo, and I was quite impressed. In fact, I have been bragging it up to all of my fellow PA shooting acquaintances for the past (9) months. I even went so far as to make the quote, "If I could afford only one State Shoot this year, I would skip my own (PA) and attend the Ohio tournament".

Near the conclusion of the 2007 tournament, I went into the campground office and spoke with Mr. Wengerd - personally. I expressed my enjoyment, and inquired about renewing the same site in 2008. He had me go to the secretary and enter all of my contact information into their computer system. Naturally -- I left there feeling "golden" about having the same campsite for the 2008 State Shoot.

Enter 2008..............

Now -- it appears that those who have the financial means to reserve sites for ALL of the tournaments at Marengo are being given "priority" over those who do not -- even though many of the "have nots" supported them in their start-up years in 2006 & 2007. Heck -- I even waited to call during the hours listed on the website, and cannot get so much as the courtesy of a return phone call or message. And they make sure it is printed in RED letters, that THEY reserve the right to assign all sites.

One of the things that impressed me the most last year was Mr. Fishburn's "down home" attitude and personality. Heck -- I even witnessed him driving the front-end loader, as the trap help loaded the houses with targets for the next day's shooting. Although the man is (obviously) very wealthy, I thought that the "little guy" might have finally found a kindred soul.

So far -- all things indicate that the "mighty dollar" will win out at Marengo in 2008. As usual -- those with the bucks will be given the choice locations, and those living on a working man's budget will get the leftovers. With the prices of fuel and ammunition, I am left to wonder when any of these shooting venues are going to wake up to the realization that "Joe Average" is still their biggest financial supporter in the ATA. The high dollar shooters and the All Americans may dictate policy for now, but what will be the future of these facilities and shooting - in general, if the little guy keeps being squeezed out?

To those who recommended sending the printed form into the office (Mr. Kaufman, in particular): I know that YOU do not have any worries about obtaining a premier site at Marengo. As for myself -- if the facility does not have the decency to speak to me on the phone, I am not about to "take my chances" with something as important as my vacation time -- and certainly not my hard-earned cash, either.

I make it a priority to attend at least ONE out-of-state championship each year. Perhaps 2008 will see me in North Carolina, or Georgia, or...........
    If this is what can be expected from Ohio, I have shot my last targets there.

2. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

K80433SC: I do not wish to defend Cardinal Center nor do I wish to engage you in an argument. I would like to point out that I attended the Pa State Shoot 5 years straight until in 2006. When I sent my 2006 State Shoot reservation request in it was returned unfilled. I was told that they gave priority to the shooters who reserved for all of the Elysburg shoots.

I did attend the 2007 Pa State shoot and was able to find a campsite-just lucky! I understand your frustration but I believe it comes with the territory when a shoot becomes very popular. Good luck, Roger

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Roger : I thank you for the enlightenment of your experiences at Elysburg, and please trust me -- I take no offense or wish to engage you, either. I did not start this thread for it to become a "tit-for-tat" topic.

The only thing I might add about camping at Elysburg is that I know the person in charge of reservations & leases there. I've known this person for several years, and I am (beyond) certain that they would answer all calls and requests in a timely fashion.

Whatever they do in Marengo is (naturally) their business -- and under their ultimate control. I am merely upset about their apparant disregard for those who funded their facility before it even had grass !!

Elysburg does offer 5 and 10 year leases at their campgrounds. And YES -- I am under the impression that there is a "waiting list" to get a permament site there, too. I only wish the campground manager at Marengo (Mr. Wengerd) would have told us that everything would be "turned upside-down" for 2008. He left us with the impression that we would be in the same site we had last year, and would even be able to have "first dibs" on the new sites that were being planned and contructed -- as previous site holders.

4. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I think a lot of people are still waiting for a call back from Cardinal Campground. There just is not enough sites yet!

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I live in northern Columbus and after reading the first few comments I will half to agree that the big money people take over. The one thing I like about Cardinal is that it is located near alot of other resources other than the Cardinal campground. Most people do not know this but about 15-20 min North there is another campground (Alum Creek Camping). I realize that they want to get as many people as possible at there campground but it would be nice for them to post that ther is other resources not too far away.

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Sorry I made a mistake, when I said North I ment to type South. Sorry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.