1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Money punch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TEXASZEPHYR, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

When shooting HDCP is money won from a calcutta (read special event) counted in the total for a money punch? What about from a lewis purse? With the big purses at the grand this year is it possible that a person might just accidentally pick up a yard by getting lucky. Hit a couple of 25's and the Lewis could put someone over. Does anybody have some concrete info on this. Is the special event considered as part of the options?

Bob

2. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Lewis purse is, Calcutta is not, I do not know about the grand big money handicap shoot, I do not think the winners will be to concerned about a punch.

Rick

3. FLIP

FLIP Member

a person might just accidentally pick up a yard ? we call that sandbagging !!

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Flip, a 85 could win a portion of the Lewis and if the win gets 750.00 then he would get a punch as I read the rules. Thats not exactly sandbaggin is it

Bob

5. FLIP

FLIP Member

take the money take the punch! when you split up the money 82 ways you wont get $750 with a 85, if i do i will be happy for the punch

6. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The ATA frowns on calcuttas, but winning them can influence "known ability".

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

How would winning a Calcutta influence known ability?

The score would already be registered, and presumably would have earned yardage, so I don't see where there would be any additional information gained by winning a Calcutta.

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Money punches are BS. Long freezes on yardage reductions because you are lucky enough to get a 1.5 yard punch is BS. The guys winning most of the money and getting most of the 1.5+ yard punches just don't want the average member in their pocket again for a long time. All these added restrictions on reductions only serve one purpose, keep the average shooter out of the money so the big dogs can make more. I don't think that is why the handicap event was started in the beginning. In fact history shows that when a few individuals were winning all the money the ATA made it harder for those handicap shooters to win. However, in the last 20 years all the rules changes in handicap have done more to handicap the occaisional winner while increasing the advantage of the frequent and in some cases almost guaranteed winners, providing them an even better chance. No wonder shooteers get discouraged and stop playing the money or leave the game entirely. JRM

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I'm afraid I am far below ignorant as far as Money Punches go.

Weren't they intended as a sandbagger trap? and pretty narrowly?

Bob

10. leadvail

leadvail Member

For what it's worth, I know that progressive 50's count. I got my first punch(1.5 yards) for $1600. But I know calcuttas don't count.

Now that I am on the fence, I can't afford options

Bob

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"So common sense says if you break a 25 or 50, or hit the lewis class, and get lucky enough for a little pay back, you may not need yardage that is hard and expensive to undo"

Well I know I won't be very popular for this statement. So here goes anyone looking for away to get a little pay back and avoid expensive yardage to undo. Sure sounds like a statement that the sandbagger would make. At least that is the way the ones I have seen seem to think.

BTW which came first there never was a need for the rules in our sports history yet we have always had sandbaggers. So which came first??????

Bob Lawless

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Still waiting for Leo to get his first money punch!!

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

They are better, they work harder, the break more winning scores and get a bigger piece of the pie.

They are also very much under-handicapped!!

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"How can you under-handicap the best in the sport, and over-handicap the delusional in the sport, and wonder why that does not work ?????"

It is quite easy really just stop giving the gifted yardage when they Win, Shoot a qualifying score, or win enough for a money punch is all that it takes!!!!!

BTW in many cases the reason the delusional as you refer to them are prevented for getting yardage by the the high scores. As some are not capable of shooting high enough scores to get yardage. Therefore they are over handicapped.

It is a source of of wonder to me that with the snap of our fingers we can move the delusional forward. Yet it appears that it will take an act of God to get the fence moved back.

Also you might want to try to understand that the delusional(your word)are worried about sandbaggers for simple reasons. These vermin dwell in their classes and yardage groups and steal whatever is available there.

Bob Lawless

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Evidently some here don't recall all the bitching and moaning that took place a few years back when a short yardage shooter or two broke 100 straights? Took all the big cash at the shoots and the crying began here on TS about short yardage "sandbaggers" taking the lunch monies! It sure didn't take long for the EC to come up with the money punch about that time either!

Fear and delusional thinking brings about these asinine rule changes and this one was based on plain stupidity from the gallery to the top of the chain.

Where do some of you think added money comes from at the Grand and other large ATA shoots? "Oh, I don't contribute because I never play any money of any kind!!" This feeding comes from YOUR ATA and state fees also and thanks for shooting a bunch of extras this year boys n gurls.

Hap

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

If you read the last 4 posts it makes you sit back and wonder why we have survived as well as we have as a sport. The problem starts at the top and has been well documented here numerous times. Simply put, we have not promoted junior shooting as well as we could or should have. We have done nothing to help the clubs, who are the real feeding system for the ATA. We have done nothing to help equalize the Handicap system. Thank goodness for those shooters who choose to help where and when they can on their own personal level. We obviously need some new thinking at the top. Just my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.