1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Money Order? Really??

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by minnship8, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Why is it that I see so many people requesting money orders, postal money orders, certified checks, etc., for transactions under $100? I bought a choke recently for $27 and the seller wanted a money order. I am supposed to spend 20 minutes extra at a bank because someone is so afraid of getting jilted out of $27?

I remember when I was 14 years old and my Dad made me get a checking account. I went to a gunclub with my Grandpa and asked if I could write a check for shooting...the manager looked at me and said, "Son, in 40 years, I've never had a trapshooter give me a bad check. If you tell me it's good, I'll trust ya."

C'mon, let's be a little more realistic about things. What are the odds some guy that frequents a trapshooting board is going to try and screw you for $40? Besides, one of the things I've found true, is that the most distrusting people are generally the ones you need to worry about the most.

I know I have better things to do that stand in line at a post office or bank for a piddly transaction...and I'm not a buyer, if you make me jump through hoops to take my money.

Chip

2. DeAdLy.90T

DeAdLy.90T Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

the world you remember is not the world we live in today. people will screw ya out of a nickel if you give them a chance. Atleast most folks on this site are decent. I take checks all the time for hulls, never had a problem, but I probably just jinxed myself lol.

3. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Chip, I guess if you want what a seller has and he requires a money order to complete the transaction, you have a choice stand in line at the bank or don't buy it.

I not being a smart ass, but there are plenty of people who are more than willing to take others for an unpleasant ride. Fortuneately, there are more people who honor their word and their checks. There was a long running thread and several hundred posts dedicated to one bad check on TS.com that took place over one year ago. Its possible but not easy to write a badcheck if you keep up on your account. However, no one likes a bad check writer who doesn't make it good immediately. So there may be people who have been burned or have the fear of being burned. You just have to decide if you want what they have. I go to the bank on a weekly basis, because I am not an automatic deposit or automatic withdrawl kind of guy. If I need a money order, I get it then so there is no special trip. If a guy wants my business, he'll get his money the way he wants it, but on my time line. Seems fair to me.

John

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I've purchased three items on here recently, ranging in price from $15 to $7500 and all three sellers said my personal check would be fine. None of them held the item until the check cleared either. Had another for an amount in excess of $1k and the seller requested certified funds, which I had no problem in providing.

I feel sure that I would trust anyone posting here on $27, but don't know where exactly to draw the line.

5. 1oz

1oz Member

0   0   0

Chip, Ive been there 10 dollar item and they want a money order lived 30 miles away . Man hold the item till the check cashes if you like i'm in no rush . And the other i belong to private club they raised the fee to 2.25 and round and doesnt want change why not just make it 3 bucks a round.

6. skeet2day

skeet2day Active Member

0   0   0

The wonderful thing about this country is we still have a choice.

One isseue not being discussed here is what a Money Order does for the buyer...If you use a Money Order and the seller just takes it, cashes it, and forgets about sending you your item...I bleive it is a offense which the USPS will prosecute.

Another thing to consider is what does $27.00 mean to different folks at different times...I can remember a time when I would have been trilled to have an extra $27.00.

I wonder who would be the first one to scream if they got burned for $27.00?

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Each person draws his or her own line. Plenty of threads on this site over the years about guys being burned over large and small amounts. Lots of threads about greart transactions as well. To each his own. If I go to the trouble of selling the item, I want to be paid, other wise I would give it away. The best way to be sure is with a postal money order. Jeff

8. Dpbrook

Dpbrook Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

One word . PayPal safe easy dose'nt cost anything to set up . You can make payment in any amount right from your phone or computer ..

Nathan

9. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

0   0   0

For less than $20, I just send currency to those requiring USPS money orders. Never been burned.

10. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

First, a bad check is not one that someone inadvertently bounces but covers.

I produced and sold fishing videos and books, and still sell them. They range from $20 to buying the whole set, around $75. I started selling them in 1994. In 17 years and well over 10,000 transactions, I have had two bad checks. That doesn't include all the checks I've taken at events for seminar fees and such.

The point is, that even if you get burned for $20, or $30 or anything under $100, it's an aggravation, and nothing more. If that $100 honestly does mean more than that to your families finances, what are you doing on a trapshooting site?

Chip

11. skeet2day

skeet2day Active Member

0   0   0

minnship8...I agree with part of your comment "what are you doing on a trapshooting site"...look around...the world is full of folks who live outside their means and ability...thats why our country is in the shape its in...Politicians spend more than they have & then want us to pay the bill...folks loosing home they sould have never bought...repos running wild...it is not the world we grew up in.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I always take personal checks for items under $300. I have never had a bad check.

One fellow sent me three one hundred dollar bills in the mail. Worked for him. Worked for me. Only cost 44 cents!

Jim Skeel

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I have bought & sold many things here on TS, NEVER had a bad experience. Anything over $50.00 is USPS money order whether buying or selling (with tracking #). The USPS is pretty nasty to deal with if things go amiss, so I want all the protection that can be had for both parties. I try to make a phone contact first, have had some somewhat pricey items arrive at my door before they received my M.O. Always make a call to be sure my payment was received. Ross Puls

14. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

"From: Dpbrook
    Email:
    Date: Mon, Nov 14, 2011 - 06:16 PM ET
    Website Address:

One word . PayPal safe easy dose'nt cost anything to set up . You can make payment in any amount right from your phone or computer ..

Nathan

Paypal doesnt cost anything to setup.......but charges 3% handling fee.
    That in and of itself is not a terrible thing...but its not free!

Paypal is a notorius "anti-gun" business. Sure wont get my support.

15. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I have enough bad checks left from former tenants, I require them to pay with money orders or cash. Sorry some have ruined it for all

Jerry Lewis

16. Dpbrook

Dpbrook Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

This is true mikkeeh but no cost to setup an account and you don't have wait on the ups. On the other hand I didn't know they were anti-gun . Hey you learn something new every day lol . Thanks

17. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

0   0   0

I always use a money order. A few guys here could vouch that for as low as $12-$15. Face to face cash, no paypal necessary. I don't want any hastles on my end either. Most guys don't want to let things cross in the mail. Still out to lunch on that. Gave things away on here and recievers were very appreciative of it. Got burnt on a few things, described as one thing and turns out to be a piece of sh!^ or best one a ct that someone repackaged with a browning in a briley case and torn up hang card was supposed to be new, suppose to be an im and was sent a full. There are alot of douch bags out there pawning off their junk. Overall I like dealing with guys from this site. 95% of time more than satisfied.

18. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

0   0   0

I have some stuff listed here for sale and and requested USPS Money orders for a couple of reasons.

1. I am new to this site and trapshooting.

2. I have been burned large and small in other sales, so it makes me a little
    leary.

3. As much bitching and complaining I see about alot of different folks, makes
    me a little leary.

4. Not everyone is honest and it is sometimes hard to be trusting.

But I can say, that most of those folks that I have had dealings with on this site, are first rate. There is however, an exception to that already! I will not name that person, but suffice it to say, not everyone here can be counted on to do the right thing.

Oscar Ray

19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Remember the guy who won the Missouri Fall handicap????wrote a bad check and didn't get it cleared up for quite some time,,,,that's why some require the MO or CC,,,,I personally have not gotten burned nor have I burned anyone here....

20. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

0   0   0

When I am dealing with someone on TSC I trust them 100% up front if they seem to know what they are doing, have pictures, etc.. Maybe for a high dollar item I will check out their sign on name for an idea of their past deals. I think most members value their word more than anything, most of us are over fifty and believe that a mans word is his bond and the trust of others his most valuable asset. One of the things I like about this group. I have never been taken for a ride on TSC and the few times I have sold something that the buyer is not completely happy with I have without question offered a full refund or a reduction in price, buyers choice. Sometimes I buy something that is a little less than I expected. That's the way it is, I just get it fixed to my standards and don't bitch about it, most of all, more times than not, it is still a good deal. We got a good thing working here folks, please try your best to keep it that way. I prefer a personal check because I bank on the net and always ship before it clears, or sometimes even before I receive it. Semper Fi gyrine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.