1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Money Maker or Devault for 391?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Paper Skeet, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paper Skeet

Paper Skeet Member

Long story: I had to shoot in the rain a couple of matches last fall, so I pulled out my backup gun (391) because i can break that down to the bare bones to clean and dry it more comfortably than my 682. I shot better scores with the 391 and wound up getting 2 punches.

I would like to make the gun more comfortable to shoot. I'm 6' tall and have a long neck. I need a higher comb, and it might be nice to have a high rib to go along with that. I put a lot of space between the mid and front beads when I mount the gun, so it shoots about 100% high.

The adjustable comb, rib and barrel work from Money Maker Guncraft is a couple of hundred dollars less than a Devault conversion. The Devault conversions I have seen are absolutely gorgeous. I plan to talk to both folks at the Grand next year if they are available.

I'm heading off to work, so those of you with time, could you kick this around and offer suggestions?

Thanks
    Jack

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Devault hands down. Jake

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I'm going to have DeVault do my 682 O/U rib for me, because it look NEW more up to date. Money Maker makes a good rib, but looks out dated and needs to have a face lift. Nothing wrong with how it works.
    For my money with a new gun I want it to look NEW and up to date. I'm getting old and I can't do any thing about it, but my gun I can.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jack- Either place could satisfy your needs. My personal opinion is that D. Devault pays very close attention to detail and takes pride in producing a top quality product that pleases both him and you. This type of skilled work is expensive. Moneymaker can also do excellent work that is very functional. You must make the choice that pleases you.

Pat Ireland

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

DeVault, only if you can go to Canton & get the gun fitted. I would still be shooting my old one if I didn't shoot a release trigger. Zero recoil, points great,. Perfect balance.

Phil Berkowitz

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a DeVault 32" on my 391 Trap gun. They'll probably bury me with it.

7. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

Some of MR Devaults fine work, and it is for sale. Kirk

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kirk- Very interesting.

Pat Ireland

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've never had Dennis do work for me, but after my last experience with MM, go Devault.

10. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

Can't go wrong with Dennis's work,its as good as it gets

11. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Devault hands down. I shoot one his "composite" stock 391 with his adjustable rib. Balance, POI adjustment, can't be beat on a 391...

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have an old style BT99 with an adjustable Devault rib. It is great!

13. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

In the above picture of my NCP , you can tell that I required some extreme measurements. I gave Dennis my numbers and a drawing and he did it. I even told him the POI from low setting to high and he set it exactly right. I built the gun to shoot the big boy handicap shells with out pain and it works. My only problem is trying to get a satisfactory release in it. I am now shooting a 2000rs with a precision release. Another vote for Devault. Kirk

14. kolartarget

kolartarget Member

another vote for Dennis Devault

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Owning 2 of Dennis's 391 barrels.. I can only say the BEST things about him.. and his product..

16. logndog

logndog TS Member

Without a doubt.......go see Dennis!

17. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

dennis-- I have one its great

18. Paper Skeet

Paper Skeet Member

Thanks everybody. I'll probably still look at both, but I've got some good friends near here and the wife of the pair shoots a Devault conversion. I't a lefty, but she'll probably let me swing it.

Jack

19. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have a brand new moneymakers rib- aluminum & adjustable both front and back- i weighed a factory 30" step rib against this 3/8" taller ribbed & back bored barrel--same weight!! and balanced very well!!----new barrel w/ backbore & rib job was $1245 earlier this past year!
    [​IMG]

20. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

I think you should just buy my perazzi db81 combo dennis has for sale. it would probably fit you great.

but spend the extra few hundred and go with dennis. he does great work and you will be very happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.