1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Monarch Shotshells @ Academy Sports

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lls581, Jan 14, 2016.

1. lls581

lls581 Active Member

I swore I read about these in a previous post but can't seem to find it anywhere. Has anyone used these? And what is your review of them?

Academy Sports has them for $5.49/box. Unfortunately I don't reload; my brother got all the reloading equipment when my father passed. Anyways, I always shoot factory shells; usually Rio, Rem Gun Clubs, or Winchester Light Target.

Attached Files:

2. baron von

baron von Well-Known Member

I saw those - but bought some of these Estates, same price and 1 ounce 1235 fps.

I have bought a few shells from Academy and they seem to ship them mostly as boxes of shells (not flats) so if your buying like the RIO Elites you get a box of loose shells and some boxes to put them in, but free shipping is free shipping

estate.jpg

lls581 thanked this.
  3. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Monarch is made by Maxam (Spain), Rio, Ely, etc., for Academy (Monarch is their brand name).

They are hot 1 oz. loads (1350 fps.) and perform exceptionally well. Even though hot, the recoil is manageable with an OU.

lls581 thanked this.
  4. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

loose shells in a BOX? that doesnt sound like iaw ORM-D shipping specs!

5. baron von

baron von Well-Known Member

darn anchor klankers - lol

V__5675.jpg

sparky38, bsd and williamlexcrawford thanked this.
  6. Echo 1

Echo 1 TS Supporters TS Supporters

That's a decent price for the Estate's ($5.49), especially with the free shipping.

They're $29.99 for a four pack at Gander Mountain.

E1

lls581 thanked this.
  7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

They had Estate dove and target 1oz 1290fps for $4.95 a box and the white box estates 1 1/8 1145 7 1/2's for 5.49 also both good buys with free shipping and no tax.Jerry

lls581 thanked this.
  8. shot410ga

shot410ga Banned User Banned

I have an Academy a few miles from my house. I buy those Estates 1235 & 1290 1oz 7.5's, for $5.49. They work good and I can't reload for much less.

lls581 thanked this.
  9. fishguts

fishguts Member

Remember when Federal paper trap loads were called Monarch?

Wayne

10. Jim White

Jim White Member

I've shot a couple flats of the Monarch's so far and have been really happy with them. I've already ordered and received two more. They are really consistent and clean burning. They are marked made in Spain and I think they are made at same facility as Maxam, Rio and Kent.

I buy all my shells now at Academy even though I have no local store. Not worth shopping the brick and mortar stores when Academy does No tax, free shipping (over $25) I had been shooting the Rios over the past year until I tried these. Have shot the value priced Federals, Winchesters, Fiocchi and Estates in the past but settled on the Rios for quite a while until we tried these when introduced online this Fall. My son and I have declared these our new favorites atleast for our closest course that has many more long reach stations and lots of wind than not. They are pretty snappy but we both shoot semi's so the recoil in the 1oz load is still very managed even at the 1350 fps rating.

Jim in Idaho

baron von and lls581 thanked this.
  11. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Academy has 3/4 ounce 20 gauge loads from Monarch, $5.49/box. I'd give some though to those. Dunno any other factory 3/4 ounce 20 gauge loads.

But then....do they stick in tubes?

12. DennyK

DennyK Member

Just a quick heads up, the ATA max allowable speed for a 1 oz load is 1325 fps. Can't speak for any other discipline.

WadHopper thanked this.
  13. John Sandell

John Sandell Member

Orange thunder is their nickname (orange hull) and we have shot numerous cases in 3 dram. Had no problems either. 31/4 dram to much for trap unless 27 yd.

14. Floorplate

Floorplate Active Member

Amazingly my last order from Academy came in packed properly. Maybe 10 flats. Hey baron...how long ago did that mess happen? My other orders from them were disasters.

15. Geoman15

Geoman15 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I believe, on some items, that they ship from the store that has them in stock.
    Packing can be lacking.
    I ordered a couple of crappie rods a couple of years ago, on clearance. My store was out of them.
    They arrived wrapped in brown paper. Literally.
    They were broken into about 8 pieces.
    Took to local store. They looked up which store shipped and who packed them. Said it happens a lot.
    Got my money back, but didn't get my rods.
    I called and complained to customer service. The quickly sent me a 25% off coupon with no limit.
    Made out on that one. But no rods. I already have more rods than I'll ever need, but that's not the point. More is better.
    George

canyonman, ganger and Floorplate thanked this.
  16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

yup

17. bsd

bsd Active Member

Yep. I posted my pic of Academy's lousy packing last summer
    [​IMG]

baron von thanked this.
  18. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Or was that Monark?

Either way, they didn't have plastic wads or shot protectors.

19. crewchief

crewchief Member

We can't shoot the 1oz 1350fps at a ATA event ,, right?

20. perazzidave

perazzidave Active Member

I thought I'd chime in here. I order Winchester AA's in 12 and 28 and 20 ga. from Academy. I also have a Academy Visa and this works out well. I received a order of 12 ga. super handicaps one time. The boxes were loose in the Academy shipping box and the Academy box had been barrel rolled during shipment. When the box had barrel rolled the flaps on the short side of the box on what should have been the bottom came inward and 3 rounds of my super handicaps got out of the Academy box.

I called Academy when I opened the box and discovered what had happened. I told them I wasn't concerned about the missing 3 rounds but I was concerned about where they had gone as loose ammo can't be a good thing in a UPS/Fed Ex truck or somewhere in a warehouse. They apologized and sent me a box of 25 at no cost to me. Now they wrap the loose boxes with shrink wrap, I called them and told them to place a piece of shipping tape on the loose flap and that should suffice and take care of the problem and much easier to cut your way into. Academy is very accommodating and a great place to purchase from with very good prices.

PD

Search tags for this page
monarch shotgun ammo
monarch shotgun shell review

monarch shotgun shell reviews

monarch shotgun shells

monarch shotgun shells for sale

monarch shotgun shells review

monarch shotshells
shotgun shells at academy