1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moly coating shot??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Remember in the late eighties and early nineties some magazine articles were suggesting adding more graphite powder to your shot to improve lubricity? Well an old friend of mine thats a bench-rest shooter has a whole jar of extra-fine moly. He use to coat his bullets with the stuff when it was popular. I'm thinking about tumbling some shot with it and hitting the pattern board.

Anybody ever try moly instead of graphite?

Thanks, Wayne

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A pound of farm equipment graphite costs $6.50; a pound of moly powder from Lyman would cost $34. The lubricity is needed only during the loading process... after that the stuff is irrelevant. It's useful on bullets and in rifle barrels because it reduces the sliding friction between the two; shotguns and their pellets don't have that problem.

No point spending more than you need to just to get the shot out of the press and into the hull.

MK

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'd like to see the mess it makes out of the loader though. Lol.

I'd tend to think it would be more beneficial to teflon coat the wad since it is what stays in contact with the barrel and not the shot.

ss

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It seems to me there would be little improvment over the graphite... but yes... I'd spend some time on the pattern board.. When I was shooting reclaimed shot.. my 2 shots of tri-flo plus graphite yielded better patterns than just graphite..

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have homemade shot that has been coated with "moly" instead of graphite. Don't expect any difference.

6. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

You might spray your chokes with the stuff,may reduce plastic fouling.

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

wondering which you have the most to burn time or $

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'd still pattern and see...

9. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I'd try putting Moly on the wad if you are going to go that route........that may possible be beneficial??? Don't know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.