Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moleskin

8K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  billn 
#1 ·
Since my recent weight loss has caused by gun to bite me. Tried Rem shave powder, invisible band aids(you brush it on) next is mole skin--has anyone put it on their face or do you put it on your comb?

This getting old sux---but it beats the alternative.

Phil Berkowitz

#2 ·
Phil--Moleskin on your gun. Would look funny with it on your face. Of course you wouldn't care what you looked like as long as the gun wasn't biting you. LOL I have tried it and it helped. I use the Facesaver because i just didn't like the moleskin on my gun.

Matt

#5 ·
put down black electrical tape first, its gummy adhesive wont be so hard on your finish! i cut the moleskin in 3/4" strips and have the electrical tape base a lil wider (about 3 strips )

#7 ·
In the old days we used sweet oil to keep the stock from grabbing and biting.
Richard Marshall uses gobs of Vasoline. Talcum powder is an abrasive, I don't like that. Moleskin is a little rough,too. It's mostly used to change the height of the comb. The Cheekeze pads are good for providing a cushion on the stock. The 1/16th pad won't change the height much because it compresses.

#9 ·
"put down black electrical tape first, its gummy adhesive wont be so hard on your finish!"

I can see how that would work. Along the same lines, I use the blue painter's tape a for a lot of things these days. Not only does it grip well and come up easy, but it leaves no rsidue behind. I use it when I want to test fire a gun with a bare wood comb so I don't get skin oil in the wood.

#13 ·
skeet_man:
I have used this product and it eliminates almost all bite to the face. Type in "Meadow industries" on your computer and you will see the product. It's $9.95.
Steve Balistreri

Recoil Slip Pad- The Recoil-Slip Pad effectively avoids the recoil jolt by letting the glancing blow slide under the thin pad. Face abrasion is almost totally eliminated as your face stays fixed on the pad while the gun stock slides to the rear, under the low friction under surface of the pad (see how it works illustration on package). The concept is unique and is Patented on it's own merit; many medical doctors have used this to stay healthier. The pad is only 1/32nd inch thin and has negligible affect upon point of impact; it is dark brown and reveals more of the nice wood of gun stocks. Velcro fasteners secure the pad to the gun stock for easy detachment. The pad can be successfully used over adjustable comb conversions and many other gun stocks for better comfort while shooting. The shooter gets tremendous value and performance when used with the new types of recoil reduction butt-stock pads and devices that cause the gun stock to accelerate to the rear which shocks and abrades shooters face (an example of this is the old hydraulic cylinder built into the stock which allows the stock to quickly move to the rear). The Recoil-Slip Pad avoids face abrasion and is a pleasure of shooting comfort!

Recoil Slip Pad Models

Catalog No. RSP-1
Thin 1/32nd inch
Quantity:

Price: $9.95

#14 ·
I had the same problem and I used the moleskin. However since I use different guns for singles and handicap I decided to put the moleskin on my face. It was very sticky and I could not get it off so it stayed in place until in wore off, That took about a week. Just in time for me to put on another piece for the next shoot.

I then found that the moleskin changed my POI and an experienced shooter suggested that I put lifts in the heels of my shoes to adjust for that. That worked too but I found that it forced me to raise my shooting glasses a bit higher on my nose. Since my glasses do not have an adjustable bridge, I had to use a narrown piece of adhesive tape from the nose piece of my glasses up between my eyes and up my forehead. A had to shave a bit between my eyebrows so the tape would not catch on the hair.

I am now shooting some good scores but no one will sit with me in the clubhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.