1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MOLDY GUNS?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Opened up my 2 gun safes the other day and 75% of my guns looked like a big chunk of molded cheese.. the stocks were molded, the slings on my deers rifles were molded.. I grabbed the little hot sticks I keep plugged up in the safes and both were warm and working.. It has been a hot dry summer here, The safes are in my basement same place they have been for years.. I cant imagine what happend all of a sudden to cause this.. Is there anything I can wipe on the stocks and leather to keep this from happening? thanks!

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Chlorox.

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

It's the leather slings, I bet. They will attract mold, especially the vegetable tanned variety.

Never store leather slings on or near guns!

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Not to hijack the thread: but where do you install the golden-rod etc. in a safe with dividers in it. Do you put a smaller unit down in just one side at the back, or a longer unit in the front where it is open, but might get in the way? Or doesn't it really matter?

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is the leather like kiv-c said

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

High moisture does it

Add a de-humidifier to the room

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.