1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Molded vs roll up ear plugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave Thoele, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Thoele

Dave Thoele TS Member

Which one gives the best protection. I know rollups give 33.
    What does the average molded offer or does that depend on
    the kind of material being used.I tried a pair some years ago
    but shooting a high mc stock it "broke the seal"
    Thanks, Dave

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

see link above

3. APrice

APrice Active Member

What the custom molded sellers won't tell you is that their plugs will shrink ever so slightly after they are fitted to you, which reduces their effectiveness considerably. Hard to do better than good foamies.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have the same problem. The molded plug in my right ear looses its seal when I cheek the gun. I have the same problem with my ProEars muffs.

I use E-A-R EarSoft Yellow Neons UF Foam plugs (NRR 33). They work great and are comfortable. Conversation is a little difficult.

If it is cooler weather I put a plug un my right ear and use my ProEars (I only turn the left one on).

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

The good roll up foam give better protection than even the best fitted plugs. I went to them 2 years ago because I was having problems with repeated ear infections about every month. Since the switch no more ear infections. I am willing to bet that I cleaned my fitted plugs far more often than most folks do. Even if the noise protection was the same I would stick with the foamies now. I buy them by the 100 or 200 pair packs and once in once out and throw them away.

--- Chip King ---

6. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

This is another one of those personal preference topics, I use soft plugs for sleeping and target rifle(have for many years). Indoor handgun I use the soft plugs and ear muffs but for trap and skeet I love my alien ears molded music monitors. These are hard epoxy with ambient vents. The impressions to form the monitors were made from silicon. I like these because I'm able to adjust the ambient level to balance between the gun reports and hearing the other shooters calls, scores etc. I admit that the impressions need to be done well to get good seals which my have. Joe

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"The correct way is to pull down the earlobe and insert the plug fully into the ear canal."</I></blockquote>Strange that the people who make foam ear plugs (and many other sources as well, including the military) suggest doing just the opposite:

<center><a href="http://www.hearos.com/earplugblog/inserting-ear-plugs-how/"<I>How to Properly Insert Hearos Ear Plugs</I></a></center>

Keller

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

I was always taught and use the over the top method as shown in Kellers post. Plus I use the tapered E-A-R plugs (I never did learn to like the old bubble gum shaped foam plugs)

--- Chip King --

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.