1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Molded-in-place ear plugs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mac V, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I just got back from the Keystone Open in PA, and as I was walking out the end of the main building towards vendor's row, I passed a stand where the vendor was making and selling molded-in-place ear plugs that were "soft in the ear and hard on the outside". I've seen him there before but never paid any mind. I couldn't see a name among his signs but I noticed that he was also pushing his "Original Strawberry Lenses" for shooting glasses. I didn't have time to chat with the guy but I did ask him in passing what the NRR of his plugs was and he told me "14".

Now, I know my description is pretty poor but it's all the info I've got...I'd like to know if anyone has tried a pair of his earplugs and what you thought of them if you have?

Mike

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

14 is most likely just barely enough to stop damage MAYBE. I would try to get at least 26db reduction.

Rock

Jim

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Are you sure you heard him correctly?? I had a set of the same type of earplugs made for me wear he injected the material in ear with a large bore type surenge a stop plug inserted first and finished off around the outer ear. He put a stamp of a foot in the left ear. He told me that his plugs were about 41 or 42 NRR. He also had the material in several different colars. I do like the ones that I have if this helps you. I used to use the yellow foam ones before. I still carry 2 sets at all time just in case. Break-em all. Jeff

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Insta-Mold injected ear plugs have an NRR of 45. I have a pair and I saw their tent at M&M in NJ yesterday. They had a big Sporting clays shoot there.

Big money in Sporting clays. Those custom 4x4 golf carts, factories had to be bought at the club to shoot the event (I think) I know they had to be factories and i thought a buddy of mine told me they had to be bought on site.

Long Bird contest was 10 bucks for 2 pair. Both were outragous shots. i am talking 70 yard shoulder height screaming away and the other was a high dropping bird about 70 yards away too. I saw guys drop 50's, take their shots, laugh and drive away.

Must be nice to have money!!

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Are you sure you heard him correctly??"</blockquote>

Yes...quite sure. When I said that I could do that good with a couple of cigarette filters, he added something about the test having been done at some university or other and that he was disappointed in the result but had not been there to assure that the earplugs had been inserted correctly.

His answer of "14" really shocked me, too. I can't imagine anyone selling plugs with a NRR that low, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has used ear plugs made by this particular man.

Mike

6. southpark

southpark TS Member

I don't know about the guy you saw, but there is a guy here in California who makes them with the soft silicone type stuff shot out of a syringe. I think his name is Baker.

They seem to work okay, but I no longer use them.

First problem was my dog eating them.

More important problem and why I won't get them again is that when I put my face on the comb I must have stretched out my ear canal in some way which caused a gap. Even a small gap would result in a louder sound.

Regardless, the roll and expand foam plugs seem to work better anyway.

The yellow tube shaped ones that are flat on each end and the foam rough on the sides do not work nearly as well as the tapered ones that seem to be softer and are smooth on the sides.

This is all based on my observations. Your mileage may vary.

7. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I use Moldex, EarSoft and MAX (all NRR of 33) and I'm satisfied with all of them but I thought I might find something more comfortable in a made-to-order item.

Mike

8. Bow Hunter

Bow Hunter Member

the person you mentioned is Ray Mckissick and I have a pair of his ear plugs for 3 years now. As you mentioned the noise reduction level is not great. I only keep these plugs for emergency purposes better molded ones out there although a lot of people wear them!

Al Filling

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

MAC V

was his like the rest out there like you said soft on the inside sort of hard on the outside but I was wondering if it was like I used to have years ago but probably not.

Any way years ago I had a set that the outside part was must have been made from the same stuff as a hearing aid because it was more plastic type of stuff but the inside was soft and they didn't shrink I lost one of them and forgot what happen to the other one but I would like to find someone that still makes them I have no ideal what the noise rating was but they seemed as good as what I use now.

does anyone know the kind im talking about back in the 1980's they was almost twice as high as the normal molded ones of today.

foghorn

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

foghorn...

I got only a brief look at one of his ear plugs and, yes, the part that went into the ear canal was very pliable while the part that faced out into the world was hard enough that it made a distinct "click" when I tapped it with my fingernail. As for the outer part being the same stuff hearing aids are made of, I can't say because I've never handled a hearing aid. The vendor also mentioned something about someone having chosen his ear plugs (or the design) as the basis for some sound amplifying hearing system for hunters; that meant nothing to me.

Mike

11. verypoor

verypoor Member

3 of us had ray m. make us ear plugs.my ears would ring so i stopped using mine.he tried to put more coating on them,still junk.my friends dont use theirs either,try someone else.bp

12. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Thanks for the input on the molded plugs, guys. I had a feeling that a NRR of only 14 wasn't going to cut it.

Mike

13. pdq

pdq Member

I bought a pair from Insta-Mold in Oaks PA. I'd tried 3 or 4 different type of simple cone shaped rubber ear plugs over the last few years, plus the yellow foam type. They were ok, but not great.

The ones from Insta Mold are great. I've now been wearing them for last fall. More comfortable than the others, don't have a tendency to start to come out like 1 of the others did, and are so quiet that I have to take one out to be able to hear someone talking.

Highly recommended. Protecting your hearing is a good thing.

Pete

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

FlaLagarto- I prefer the same ear plugs that you use (Moldex)but I choose a different color than you like. The solid orange ones remind me of a broken target.

Pat Ireland

15. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Hey Pete - where did you get the Insta-Molds from? I went to their website and couldn't seem to find any sort of 'order here' or similar. How much did they cost and where did you have to go to buy them?

Thanks,
    Kyle

16. pdq

pdq Member

Kyle:

You can't buy via the mail -- you need to go where they are. I'd recommend calling them and seeing if they are going to be at a shoot near you.

The reason these are so effective is that the silicone is molded to the exact contours of your ear canal. They take a small ball of cotton with a thin string attached & carefully insert it deep into the ear canal. They then mix up a 2 part silicone mixture & using a large syringe, inject it into your ear. It sets up in a matter of minutes, & they then do some finish work & you are done.

I seem to remember that the overall process took about 45 minutes and cost $50.00. I've been shooting for a lot of years & tried a lot of commercially available ear plugs, most of which claimed to reduce noise by 30 decibels -- these are significantly quieter -- no comparison.

Pete

17. pdq

pdq Member

Kyle:

You can't buy via the mail -- you need to go where they are. I'd recommend calling them and seeing if they are going to be at a shoot near you.

The reason these are so effective is that the silicone is molded to the exact contours of your ear canal. They take a small ball of cotton with a thin string attached & carefully insert it deep into the ear canal. They then mix up a 2 part silicone mixture & using a large syringe, inject it into your ear. It sets up in a matter of minutes, & they then do some finish work & you are done.

I seem to remember that the overall process took about 45 minutes and cost $50.00. I've been shooting for a lot of years & tried a lot of commercially available ear plugs, most of which claimed to reduce noise by 30 decibels -- these are significantly quieter -- no comparison.

Pete

18. Cray

Cray Member

His nane is Ray McKissek. (Not sure of spelling) I've used his ear plugs for yrs. I found out too late that molds were not enough-when my Dr.told me I had hearing loss in my left ear. I now use molds plus muffs. Trying to protect what hearing I have left. Cray

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Devil'sAdvocate- Information I read about one year ago indicated that the type of ear plugs Jerry and I use offer greater protection from sound than the custom molded ones.

Jerry- When I put in my orange colored ear plugs I can see what looks like pieces of broken targets in my mind. Can you do that?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.