1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Molded Ear Plugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1166, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1166

1166 Member

Can anyone tell me where yo purchase the silicon kits to make my own ear plugs thanks in advance

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Cabelas has them.

Better order two kits, one of each color. Red for Right, Blue for Left...

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Walmart had them at one time.

4. msmith

msmith Member

I priced out the molded and ended up buying 1000 pair of USA made foam plugs for under $20 on Ebay. Mike

5. trw

trw Member

Midway also sells the 'kits'.

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Where are you located? Here in Ca we have a gentleman Keith Baker who does an excellent job, better than what you can do with the do it yourself kits, for $45.

7. TC

TC TS Member

If you want to protect your hearing, get the 29 to 32db rated foam plugs.

If you want to look cool and aren't concerned about your hearing get the molded ones.

8. Calkidd

That has to be one of the most asinine comments I have read tonight. I am going to call BS there TC. What proof do you have that the decibels are not effectively reduced with molded ear plugs?

You can't sit there and make such bold allegations without some type of proof either personal or researched.

Bryan

9. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

I went to a local hearing aid center and had some ear plugs Made. They work great.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The DIY kids are not that easy and usually don't make a good enough seal. The kits i tried suggested you push it to your ear by hand. Worked but didn't seal very good. I tried 3 times with those DIY kits. Seems like i bought them at Wal Mart on clearence.

I had a set made at the Grand and she actually put foam in your ear with a tiny thread attached. You pick your color or colors and they inject with a large syringe. The foam protects your ear drum from the silicone until its set. By being able to inject in the ear they seal much better and i can tell no difference between good foam throw aways. When the silcone sets, she pulled the earplug out and then the foam. She then cleans them up a bit and removes any excess. She also inlaid a little plastic blue dot on the left side for quick ID of right/left. When she finished and she put them back in, i couldn't hear much at all. I'm very happy with them. The foam plugs are great but the give me ear problems. Try and find someone that uses this procedure.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

go to your search engine and type in Moldex ear plugs. Prices will be all over the place but they're the best and there much cheaper per package of 2.

12. Calkidd

I know with the foam I have a hell of a time trying to get them in the ear canal. Half the time I never can get a good seal and they hurt after wearing them for a period of time.

Like Matt, I had mine done here at my club and couldn't be happier. This is my second pair and have been happy both times.

Bryan

13. dward

dward Member

Subject: Radians Custom Fit Molded Earplugs
    Email:
    Image:
    Date: 08-Mar-11 - 04:50 PM MT

I had a pair of molded plugs that I had made at a shoot a few years back for $75, and long story short I lost one when I left them in a pocket and it fell into the black hole known as our laundry room never to return.

I first had my son pick me up a kit a Cabelas which is advertised under Cabelas name. When using the Cabelas kit I made the mistake of not pushing the material into my ear enough, and they didn't end up extending into the ear canal as far as the one molded plug I had and didn't work as well.

The next weekend my son went to Gander mountain and got me the Radian brand. This time I made a point of really working the material into the ear and it worked great. When comparing the molded plug I paid $75 for to the Radian that was $15, the Radian was better/quieter. Now granted the one plug is a few years old and my ear could have changed, but the diy kit worked great.

As I stated I made a point the second time of really working the material into the ear canal and I ended up trimming a little bit off of each ear plug after they were done as they extended in farther than needed. I also had my wife shape them once I finished working them in to give them a better appearance/shape. They say set up time is 10 minutes, but to be safe I waited 20 before taking them out.

So my 2 cents is they are well worth it, but make sure you work the material in far enough and have someone help with shaping them.

Dan

14. EEB

EEB Member

I have used both, and prefer the Radians. As someone else has mentioned the foam plugs are sometimes difficult to fit and after a while begin to hurt the ear canal. The Radians are more comfortable and noise reduction is better. Your mileage may vary.

15. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have the kits for sale in my shop.
    Don

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Buy at least 2, maybe 3, when you locate them:

You'll definitely waste the first pair because you won't work fast enough and the goop will harden on you.

The second pair won't fit right and you'll want to do better.

The third pair will fit better but it won't stay in you ears; you'll become discouraged and do what you should have done from the beginning... buy a bunch of NRR 32 or 33 foam plugs.

MK

17. dward

dward Member

I just love it when guys like Unknown/MK shed their optimistic light on the world!!

To add to my post....what I learned was the off ear plug isn't as important as the shooting side. The first set I made worked fine on the off ear and it was the shooting side that you need to make sure to get into the ear canal as mounting the gun can move the plug slightly and break it's seal if it doesn't protrude enough into the canal.

And MK....I tried every foam plug I could find and they didn't work for me....so there!

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"I just love it when guys like Unknown/MK shed their optimistic light on the world!!"</i></blockquote>It's realism not "optimism", ward, and I wish somebody would have shed a little on me before I wasted time and money on those things... so there THERE!

MK

19. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of custom molded ear plugs a lady friend made for me and I wouldn't trade them for a garage full of the foam ones. Talk about a pain in the ass and uncomfortable, the foam ones are it.

20. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

Well, I've had all 3 kinds. The custom molded works great just standing around...but if I smile or mount the gun, it moves and lets in noise. The molded myself from a kit acted much the same way. The foam plugs just block more noise, they are quieter, and stay sealed if I smile or mount the gun....they just work better for me. If lose 'em, I just grab another pair. Your mileage may vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

in ear molded ear plugs for rap shooting

molded ear plugs for shooting

molded shooting ear plugs

shooting silicon ear plugs