1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Molded ear plugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by magshooter, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magshooter

magshooter TS Member

Hello,

I'm considering getting some molded ear plugs for my shooting, if they're worth getting. I using ear muffs now. Are molded ear plug any better? I would appreciate reading anybody's experiences with them, bad or good.

Thanks,

Bob

2. magshooter

magshooter TS Member

Hello,

I'm considering getting some molded ear plugs for my shooting, if they're worth getting. I using ear muffs now. Are molded ear plug any better? I would appreciate reading anybody's experiences with them, bad or good.

Thanks,

Bob

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I like mine...ordered them online. I can't wear over the ear muffs so they are my only choice other than foam...use google to find sources ar someone will post on here where to order from.

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Another option. I now prefer them to the custom molded ones.

They're only $12.95. I've used my first set regularly since early spring, and they're still in good shape.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Molded ear plug one you use them you will not use ant thing else.

6. wm rike

wm rike Member

From the foggy recesses I seem to recall a test years ago of various forms of hearing protection, and the single best item was the molded plug. Be that as it may, I've had problems with the bulk of the muffs. The foam plugs hurt after an hour or so, I guess from the continual outward pressure that makes them work.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I like my molded ones... Not as effective as good ear muffs. My problem is that I don’t like the muffs hitting my comb.

I use my Pro Ears muffs for pistol, and custom molded for trap.

Out in the open on the trap field, the db intensity is less compared to a pistol/rifle range with .45acp and high power close by.

The more isolation, the less distraction. It's cool to be isolated and in your zone.

Try both, and all... trial and error.

Guy Babin

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Were do you buy the materal to make your own molded ear plugs?

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bob, its all about the NNR. Noise Reduction Rating of the plugs or Ear Muffs you are going to buy. The cheap yellow large size throw aways have the best NNR of any of the foam plugs I have seen at 32. Also never seen Ear Muffs under $l00 that had a higher NNR as well (32). Now some of the molded plugs have a NNR of 40, some do not. Make sure, then buy. Break-em all. Jeff

10. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

the thing about molded plugs is that you need to get a new pair every 2 or so years as the loosen up, lose shape and create leakage.

I agree with Sarge, I order the foam bell shaped foam plugs in bulk, I use them once or twice and thats it. To save bucks you can put them in a buttoned shirt pocket, throw the shirt in the wash machine and the plugs will come out like new.

11. magshooter

magshooter TS Member

Hey,

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. The NRR is something to definitely to put the equation before buying any hearing protection. Sarge, Your molded ear plug would break their seal just by yawning? What up with that?

Bob

12. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

I've been using the molded for some time now and like them. But, it's getting time for a new pair and they're pricey (I know, cheap compared to losing your hearing). Gamaliel's carry a do-it-yourself molded earplug kit. Anyone tried it? Results?

13. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

In the Dillon catalog the Max plugs (bell shaped) have an NRR of 33, the muli-max are 31.

The ear muffs are rated at 21.

14. tbone0813

tbone0813 TS Member

You can get do-it-yourself kits from Academy.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use molded for Trap. When i go plink'n with my pistols or rifles i wear my muffs. Just can't shoot trap with muffs on. The foam ear plugs work real good but give me a headache because i have narrow ear canals. Make sure they seal good when they make them for you. The very first pair i had made was crap. The maker kindly remade them and the 2nd pair was perfect. I have new ones made every two years. They get flimsy and don't work as well after a couple years.

Matt

16. TC

TC TS Member

Foam ear plugs worn correctly are the most effective hearing protection available. The addition of low profile muffs adds an additional layer of protection.

If the foam plugs hurt your ears you may have excessive wax, old plugs, dirty plugs, or the wrong size for your ears.

I am not aware of any molded plug that is ANSI rated. If they are rated you need to be aware that your ear canal is constantly growing and you will need to be fitted with new ones every 6 to 12 months.

Do not use the valve type with NRR's of 4 to 10 DB NRR! I did and am now spending several thousand dollars for hearing aids. Tony

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If foam hurt your ears and you don't have access to molded for awhile you can check with your local Drug store. They have moldable disposible earplugs you can install yourself like sillypuddy or simular. They are pretty cheap and may work OK for you. I think the NNR is in the upper 20's and pretty good. Break-em all. Jeff

18. arend003

arend003 Member

I have the do it your self molded plugs and they work great for me. You can get them from Recobs target shop and I have seen them at a local Gander Mountain.

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

magshooter, The ear canal will change shape when you open and close your mouth. That can break the seal. That is the trouble I have had with molded ear plugs. Foam plugs will constantly try to expand to their original shape and will maintain their seal.

20. magshooter

magshooter TS Member

Jerry P,

Thanks for your information. From your comments and other comment on the thread, it sound like it maybe better to get some good foam plugs. Especially if the molded plugs need to be replaced as often as a year or two. Thanks for everybody's comments I appreciate them.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.