1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Molded Ear Plugs Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I have used a single very good pair of molded ear plugs for many years, but I need new ones. I recently had some made at a trap shoot by a vendor, but they are of mediocre quality...do not cover as much of the ear, the material appears light & porous, etc. Can anyone recommend a superior product for do-it-yourself ear plug kits, in particular one with a dense material and which cures with a smooth finish so that they are easily kept clean?

Thanks!

WNCRob

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I tried molded for a while, but ultimately decided the cheap foam "roll them up and stick them in till they touch your brain" ear plugs work just as well or better.

3. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I have a pair made by a Hearing Aid Doctor that are great. She made a cast of my ear cannals and sent it off. The plugs are made of a hard acrylic just like a hearing aid and fit perfectly in the ear (have to screw them in). There is even a little post that sticks out to help with removal. Cost was a little over $100. They work better than the soft disposable plugs and don't move when shooting. Mine are longer and more shaped than in than the picture. AJ

4. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

And if the string should break!----------You never know.

Just thinking of what could happen.

Gunnerx

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Gunnerx

Just hold your nose and blow hard. :)

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rob, I doubt it would be this easy, but if you're in south-central Pennsylvania, there's a guy who makes very good ones in Mechanicsburg.

Ed

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Look for BIG PAPA on this site.

Don

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have had these over over 6 years. They work very well and stay clean. They are not the porous type you mentioned. I had those and hated them. These are slick rubber and very comfortable even after hours of use. They have contact page to find a vendor near you or ypu can have a mode made and they will duplicate it.
    http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic.php

9. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Mark,

I think you have identified the vendor I am looking for. Many thanks.

WNCRob

10. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Dicks sporting goods sells do it your self 2 part plastic earplug,I tried them and are easy to mold to your ear you just have to keep your mouth shut for 15 min,I was not impressed by the sound protection they offered,mediocre at best.

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have 7 pairs of molded plugs I bought over the years from every vendor that attended the PA and NY State shoots and none of them are as effective or stay in place as well as the foam plugs I buy in bulk.

A couple years ago I asked Ray McKissick what the NRR of his molded plugs was and he said "12 or 13". Heck, I get 32 and 33 out of foam plugs and I don't care if I lose one.

MK

12. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

What BIGDON said. Get ahold of Big Papa. His "Noise Braker" plugs are very good.

K

13. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Another vote for Big Papa's silicone...very good. Roger

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The guy I mentioned believes that a molded plug is not fully effective unless it extends just beyond the second bend in the ear canal. His have a long "tail" on them and you almost have to "screw" them in but I almost cannot hear conversation at all and my gun sounds like a 22LR.

Ed

15. royboy

royboy Member

Rob,
    You should have been at Hog Heaven last week at the Spring Shoot, Gwen was making a lot of molded ear plugs.
    How do you like Charlotte?

CW

16. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

Bi Papa,also known as Dick,makes a great pair,of surgical material. Very comfortable,impossible to break,and the service is the best around. I would be glad to tell anyone of the great experience I had with Dick Glenn

17. TC

TC TS Member

If you want to protect your hearing, use the foam plugs rated at 32db's. If you want to look "cool" and eventually damage your hearing, get the molded ones! Been there, done that, not good!

18. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I use Big Papa's stereo plugs and really like them, top quality.

Terry.

19. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The best advice if you must use molded ear fillers, is to get a TV that has "Closed Captioning"

BTW...what's "surgical grade silicone",... anyway.....is that the stuff that guy in CA. was injecting into those women's a~~es????

The first thing I think of when I see someone with them is "TOURIST"...LOL.

WHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT HHHHEEEEEEEEE SAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY

Foam Plugs...the safety rated ones, are the cheapest thing in Trap shooting.

I'm amazed how most bitch about the price of shells and targets, yet will waste their money on designer ear hammers.

20. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

My molded plugs - both the new pair and the pair I've had and used for years, now tend to slip out of my right ear, to the point that I have to reset them at least once during every round. Got tired of that, so I bought a bulk pack of disposable foam plugs. I can run them through the wash in a mesh bag two or three times before they decide they won't work any more, they stop at least as much sound as the molded ones, and even though they're hard to set properly in my right ear, I find I prefer them.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.