1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Modifying Cast On Ljutic Stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gyrine, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I need a Ljutic stock guru's advice. I have a Mono with a little left hand cast, only 1/8 inch that I would like to get rid of. Is it a big job for a stock smith to take out this cast? What does the job entail? More trouble than it is worth? Thanks, gyrine

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is a quick job with my 48 inch stationary belt sander but an adjustable comb would probably be a better way to do the job.

Pat Ireland

3. locdoc

locdoc Member

That should be a cakewalk for a stock maker. Stock bending is probably part of their services.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It's a lot easier on a Ljutic to reinlett the front of the stock to move only 1/8" as a matter of fact you can shim the side you want to move between the receiver and the end of the stock where they meet.

5. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

gyrine, It should be easy for a stockmaker to alter the cast on a Ljutic. An adj. comb would be the best.The inletting of the stock to the receiver is flat,so if you sand or file some off the drivers side it should shift it to where it needs to go. You may need to enlarge the stock bolt hole if it is tight. You also may loosen the stock and put a shim of some kind on the passengers side like a piece of a shell box or a flat toothpick then tighten it back up for a temporary fix.Hope this helps George

6. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Toolmaker251 you beat me by 1 minute.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If it were me, I'd purchase a right handed stock and peddle the left handed stock to someone that needs a left handed stock.

The decission was made to buy a nice gun to shoot trap with, why cheapen up the experience with a poor fitting, butchered up stock.

Find a stock that fits you and make it a good experience as opposed to trying to make something work. Gunfit is the single most important part of good shooting.

ss

8. TOOLMAKER 251

Gyrine, place 2 1/8" wide strips of IBM type business card paper which is .007 thick along the edge of the pocket in the receiver recess. Put it on the side you want to suit you and retighten the stock bolt. The tangent of .014 where your face is going to be will be about 1/8" inch. Short Shucker, Did you figure out what a adjustable comb does besides move the POI up and down?

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

tooljerker,

Do you know how to shoot something beside your mouth off? I clearly explained that if you have no horizontal POI issues (proper gunfit), then an adjustable comb will only change the verticle POI. That's not too hard for you to understand, is it?

ss

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

A word of caution, when shimming the stock, always place a shim on the right side then place 2/3 shims on the left side. This is to prevent excess pressure on the edge of the stock which could crack the stock. I have done this on several Ljutics to get them where I want them prior to having them re-inletted.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Adjustable combs can be moved up/down and right/left. I like to keep the comb parallel with the bore. Shimming the stock will not allow this. I don't mount my gun exactly in the same place each time and I don't wear the same thickness of clothing each time I mount my gun. Also, shimming can place unequal forces on the face of the stock and may result in cracking the wood.

Pat Ireland

12. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Thanks to all for the advise. Probably be a good idea for me to spend some time and ammo at the pattern board and on the line before I try to fix something that may not be broken. I have a tendency to think too much. gyrine

13. TOOLMAKER 251

Shorty, I know how to shoot. The reason I ask you if you know what a adjustable comb is for was because of your earlier post. On a thread titled "why put an adjustable comb on a trap gun" your response was, "adjustable combs are only good for raising POI" This is just telling people you don't know shit from shinola. You might be better off listening to advice rather then giving it, you might learn a few things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.