1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

modifying a skeet gun for trap- is it possible??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RMR, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMR

RMR Member

I have a 1990-91(?) browning Citori O/U skeet with invector chokes - grade 5 12 g 26" barrels (I believe- was the highest grade browning offerred at that time). I purchased it for around 4-5k at the time to give to my father as a thank you for putting me through 8 years of college. I have been given the gun back since my dad is now 89 and cant shoot anymore due to several health issues. The gun is in outstanding condition as my dad was afraid to use it, and I suspect has had less than 300 shells put through it. The gun has a great deal of sentimental value to me and I dont ever intend on selling it!!

I currently shoot trap, and occasional sporting clays and may consider Bunker trap at a gun club I will be joining. With time I may give it to one of my kids if they stay interested in clay target shooting- but that will be many years from now

So my question: Can I get Browning ( or are there other companies out there that will / can do it ) - to make extra O/U barrels designed to shoot trap, maybe even with an adjustable rib, that would fit onto the existing stock and reciecver?? Would this make any financial sense to do?? Or am I best just to put it in the safe and have it as a keep sake from my dad until either I or one of my kids get back into skeet??

Any insight would be appreciated,
    Thanks in advance

RMR

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Contact Art's Gunsmithing or Midwest Gun Works (both south of St. Louis and both specialize in Browning work) to see if they can fit a set of barrels and trap wood...likely cheaper than buying another trap gun and would keep the gun going for you with the sentiment preserved. Best Regards, Ed

3. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Change the chokes and rock on. Try it, what do you have to lose?

Sounds like you want "a certain look" more than you want good function and scores.

I can use any of my guns for trap or skeet but it may also depend on your shooting style. My favorite is a 28 in Beretta 682. Yes its fast but I shoot straights with it. As always, the gun has to shoot where you look.

regards

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If you buy a SC barrel, you don't even have to change the grade V stock. Then you can shoot SC, bunker, & trap with it. If you buy an ATA trap barrel, not only you'll have to get a matching stock, it'll not be that good for anything else.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you check that stock you will find it quite straight if it's a Hi Rib SKeet of that era.

Those guns shoot a little high as it is. I have been wishing for one with screw chokes so I could shoot dubs and skeet with the same gun, and singles too maybe.

The barrel length is the killer. Barrels will probably cost as much as a used trap gun. I would shoot some skeet with it for sentiment, that's about it.

HM

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

RMR, A lot depends on your height and how well you swing a gun. My Granddaughter shoots a Citori with 26" bbls and choke tubes. I installed a Morgan pad on it to get the comb up to her cheek. If you are short in stature, it will probably work. If you are 6'-6'', big and strong like bull, it is probably not the gun for you for Trap. Give it a try. What have you got to lose? Larry Evans

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a 1987 model citori 26 inch barrels that i shoot trap and skeet with, all I do is change the chokes from skeet to full and let the lead fly.. leave it like it is and enjoy.. if you replace the barrels, then you will need to replace the stock then the receiver and soon you wont even have the original gun....

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

RMR, Like said above if you have a sporting Clays barrel installed on your gun you don't have to re-stock the gun. You can install a "Wrapid Comb" its a rubber type wrap around the comb w/ spacers to get your head up if you like for a higher POI for trap. Or shoot it as is. My best guess is about 1,200-1,500 dollars for a newer barrel fitted to your gun. I would not mess with the original gun more than that. Wrapid Comb 23 dollars shipped to you. (503-371-0245) Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Pull and Mark, what about cast on/off? The wrapid comb will push his face to the left due to the wrap, and since the trap target is father away (Skeet is 22.5 yards, trap 32-45 yards depending on ability) it will double the cast affect. Trap requires much more precise pointing than skeet.

10. RMR

RMR Member

Thanks for the input.
    I do recognize I can just put IM or F chokes in and use as is. I have not patterned the gun- guess I need to get that done- but I suspect its somewhat flatter shooting gun than the trap gun Im use to shooting ( 70/30) - but it does have the hi skeet rib as was mentioned. The 26" barrels is what I wasnt so wild about - I would prefer 30" at least.

Several had mentioned putting SC barrels on- so where do I get SC barrels for a 19yr old Citori - are they the same basic design now as then and will fit into the forarm and reciever or will the barrels and forarm have to be custom made- and if so any recommendations on who to contact?

RMR

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Setterman, What about Cast on/off??? I said he could try one if he thought he needed it or shoot gun as is. Its his choice!!! He could spend 500 dollars more and have a Adj. comb and a Adj. butt plate installed as well. But I too have a gun linked with memories from my father and will never sell it. I chose not to mess with it and take away from those memories. Like said above as well if you install new trap barrel and trap wood and trap whatever its a whole different gun and those memories from his father will be lost. I chose to buy a whole new trap gun and leave my link with my father just the way I want to remember it. So in my twilight years I can still touch it and remember all those things we did together in years long past. Nuff said. Break-em all. Jeff

12. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Friend of mine shoots trap with a model 48 Remington doesn't even have a rib on it a few years ago he won the Washington State Handicap with a 98.He generally kicks our butt shooting sporting clays with the same gun and it is fixed full choke,if your doing your part the gun you use is irrellevant.Jerry

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'd love to have a set of 32" bbls and a trap buttstock for my 101 skeet gun but they're pretty(espcially bbl's) scarce....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

modifying gun for skeet