1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Modified vs. Full from 16 yard line?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Everything else being equal, why wouldn't everyone shoot 1 1/8 oz with a modified choke, as a opposed to a full, from the 16 yard line?

1 1/8 gives you more shot and the modified gives you more spread.

Am I missing something?

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I run 1oz #8 thru' a Beretta "modified" (.020") from 16 yds. If the gun's pointed where it should be when the gun say's "BANG" the targets break.

John C. Saubak

3. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I dont shoot 16's too often but a year ago i shot the team shoot in mich. I shot my k80 with an improved cylinder broke a 98 with walmart federels and they broke hard the two i missed i could have a six foot pattern without a hole in it and i still wouldnt have broke them. Its not a game to see how hard you hit it its to see how many you hit. I think people shoot to much choke all the time if you can blow one into a black cloud open your choke up and pickup some targets you wouldve missed before. Just the way i see it Kirk

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

This game being about 99.99999995% mental, if it breaks them for YOU go for it!

The rest of us need to go with what works for us.

My full choke may be tighter then I need, but if I "know" I am shooting a more open choke I will drop 2 to 6 birds just by not concentrating enough! So give me an extra full the extra concentration is worth it!

Al Lingham

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have a very bad habit of patterning my guns. I use whatever choke that gives me the desired patterns at the desired yardages, with the gun and loads I'm using. I've had full chokes give dismal patterns and modifieds give quite good ones. You never know until you shoot some paper. Then I test them out on targets to see if the patterning was worth the effort. I have a modified choke in my gun for 16's. It's a .021" constriction and gives a pattern that would not be characteristic of the degree of choke. It works well with the loads I have tested with it. I might switch to another choke if I change loads. I use a tighter choke with my 7/8oz loads, since the patterns respond quite well to it. A quality Modified and Improved Modified choke do most of the work for me under 22 yards.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pattern size does not change greatly as the choke is opened. The primary change is in the movement of shot from the inner core toward the outer edges of the pattern.

Pat Ireland

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Full choke and play all the options...

Curt

8. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

There's no magic, you have to point the gun in the right place to break targets.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Bushmaster1313, Modified does not have any current meaning, because so many manufacturers take liberties with the definition. That being said, a good .020" choke will easily deliver 90+% PE at 30 yards. That's great for singles, unless you ride them. At 30 yards, the usable area of the pattern from a .020" choke is half again as large as that from a .035" choke.

You can up your chances even more by using 1 1/8oz of #8 shot instead of 7 1/2. If your barrel and choke handle it well, you are even better off using 8 1/2 shot, or even 9. The reason is pattern density. As long as the pellets you use have enough retained energy to reliably break the target at the ranges you are shooting, the more pellets the better. Your 100% sure kill area grows as more pellets are added.

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

REALLY

11. rocktire

rocktire Member

I like the black cloud and also knowing where I hit the target. If I open chokes I can't fine tune my shot. You will also stop concentrating as hard subconsiously if you open chokes. You will get lazy.

12. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I am about to take my 1940 Ithaca 37R with a "modified" choke out to the 16 yard line to see if I can hit anything. Sounds like if I do poorly it will be my fault and not the gun's.

If I do well, it will of course be due to the intellignt, informed (and always polite) advice given on this site.

Lou

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

To each their own.

I use a modified choke at 16 and an IM at 24.

Do I think using one or the other at 16 yards makes any difference in my scores? No, not really. I don't think the Modified choke gets me any targets at 16 yards the IM wouldn't have gotten me.

At 16 yards, the breaks are a little more spectacular with the IM choke. But they break just fine with the Modified choke too.

And I use 1 ounce of 8-1/2 shot for 16 yard. Seems to me, again, that's a matter of personal preference.

Do I think I'd score any better with 1-1/8 ounces of shot and a tighter choke? No. But I don't think I'd score any worse, either.

15. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've been using Mod for about a year now. I was always a IM shooter. My Mod does just fine. A good friend of mine and I were shooting trap yesterday and we both shot 49 out of 50. Both using Mod chokes. He was shooting 1oz 7.5's and I was shooting 7/8oz 8.5s. Dave T.

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I agree with Pat 100%, I recently found this out while patterning one of my 20 gauges that I enjoy shooting and have been trying to shoot skeet with it. Sort of new to it and I suck. Was just trying to find a few answers and trying to help myself. Back a few weeks ago spent a few hours on the patterning board checking poi and patterns with a hand full of chokes and some 7/8 oz. 20 ga. reloads. I find his comment to be correct and on the money. At least it is in my case.

I also agree with ZZT, Heading back to the board using after buying some #8 1/2 and #9 I did fill those voids. I just didn't want to buy the #8 1/2 or 9 shot and figured on just using my #8's I use for 16 yd. targets. I kept some of my targets from previous patterning and there is night and day difference between 8's and 9's. Oh well, I think I settle for #9's and only use it for skeet targets. My proof and hopefully better scores will tell Wednesday night.

Sarge, what do you mean that full choke is to be prefered for 16 yd. targets? You prefer this? Not looking for an argument because I shoot a full at 16 yds. also but, seem alot of guys do shoot a bit more open at 16 yd., when I first started shooting trap this is what the older guys I shot with pushed me to do. I've really never keep swapping tubes around and shoot the full that's in there. If I were a new shooter now I think I would have started with an imp. mod.. But, you are right. There are alot of variables involved, The gun, chokes, choke design, your load choice.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Paul- The scorer does not grade your hits, but it is important for you to grade your hits. You need to know when you have done everything right (smoke), when you were off a bit but still close (big pieces) and when you made a mistake and just got lucky (small chip).

If you break a few targets into big pieces, you need to work harder or something bad will happen very soon.

Pat Ireland

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Pat what happened to your theory that Full gives you a super tight center core of shot and a Mod spreads it out to fill the entire pattern. Maybe just the old geezers need to fill the entire pattern because we are slow don't see as well.

When the wind blows and the targets are a hoppen you shoot your full and I will shoot my MOD.

Don

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What happened, BIGDON, is that someone decided to do the work to find out if this, perhaps the most resilient myth in shotgunning*, was true.

For an piece in Shotgun Sports, he tabulated the pattern percentages for all the areas and all the chokes tested by American Rifleman for decades. The pattern percentage in the 21-30 inch circle was a virtual constant for loads from skeet to duck, x-full to pretty open. All that changed was the center concentration; the outer ring just stayed put.

It was Shotgun Sports' best article ever. If I ever find it again, I'll post it here.

Neil

* except slow-burning powders, of course

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

For those of you that have taken and paid for a course from one or more of the so called Pros. What did they tell you about which choke to use?

When I took a course many moons ago I was told if I was shooting trap I could throw away my other chokes and put a full in the barrel and leave it there as nothing else was needed.

I have never used anything else at least not for Singles or Handicap.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

choke for 16 yard trap targets

full choke for 16 yard trap

is a full choke to much for trap at 16 yards