1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Modified Choke and Trap Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by noatrophy, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

I've other shotguns with interchangeable chokes but I have a Winchester Super X-1 with fixed choke barrels that I shoot skeet with. I have a "Skeet" barrel on it now for shooting skeet. It is my favorite shotgun.

I've never shot Trap before but I'd like to. Can I install my barrel that is choked "Modified" and shoot trap with it without handicapping myself too much? I don't have any other barrels with tighter chokes than the modified barrel. Thanks to all. Harry D.

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Go for it. I have broke a 100 straight in practice with my skeet barrel on my SX-1.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Go for it x2 MOD works great back farther than given credit for..and your SX1 has an excellent MOD I'm sure

4. shaggist

shaggist Member

Given that the chokes in the SX-1 were developed more than 35 years ago, I believe you will find, if you measure them, that your Modified choke is more like a Light Full in today's world. If you can find a 30" VR, Improved Modified, which is what I shoot, it will be more than adequate for 16 yard Single, Handicap, and Doubles. With today's improved ammunition, these guns shoot a tight, evenly distributed pattern, and the only fault that can be found is with the shooter, not the gun.
    Jack

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Most SX-1 barrels marked "Mod" have .015 constriction (Light Mod) in lieu of .020 (Mod). Same with Model 21's. I assume these barrels shoot a modified pattern. Never counted the pattern percentage.

SX-1 barrels usually throw great patterns. Try it. May work great.

6. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

I have shot my modified sx-1 barrel for 16 yards. you can break them all, but you will not "smoke" any. .015" is, as has been said, light modified, a very usable choke for skeet, trap and sporting clays. shoot it, you'll love it, till you need something tighter. Jack

7. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Score cards show hits and misses.... NOT SMOKE. Modified will do just fine. You can smoke em with a modified with the right shell, centered on target, but when the scores are read off smoke doesn't matter!!!!!!!

8. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Modified is what I use in my Blaser & it will smoke the target! Remember, the best thing to do is pattern it to get a general idea of what the choke is doing. When my buddy I bought our 870 turkey guns, we tried various chokes to see what was the best pattern at 30 yds. using Hevi-shot. When went from modified up to a special extra full from Cabela's designed for Hevi-shot. After an absolutely brutal session on the bench rest with these 3 1/2 inch cannons, we went with modified in both guns & there are still there today. It is all going to vary from gun to gun.

9. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I shoot mod all the time, except in doubles here I use a light mod for the first shot. However, that being said, Guerini chokes tend to be a little tighter than some.

Others are always telling me I should use full or IM, but if they break who cares what the choke says it is.

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've always described myself as a mediocre shooter. I've only shot 100 straight at registered singles about half a dozen times. About half of those were with 1 oz of #8 reloads through my 682 X Beretta with its factory modified choke. The best shoot I ever had in singles I used that combination, and broke 99/99/98/100 in the 400 program singles targets.

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the thing your missing is not so much the choke but POI! unless you are a coverem up consistant shooter, part of your shot string will never hit the rock!

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

On a calm warm day I can smoke targets from the 16 to the 24 yard line with a modified choke of .020.
    Steve Balistreri

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

As the Golfers say: "No pictures on the scorecard"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can i shoot trap with modified choke
choke for trap shooting
improved or modified choke for trap shooting
light modified choke for trap
light modified for trap