1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Modernizing the Handicap System!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dr.beav, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Have any of you ever given any thought to changing the handicap system once a year, so that everyone would be able to compete. All you would have to do is; on the first of each year, move everyone up to the 20 yard line (19 if you are a lady) and let everyone reach their own norm as the year progresses. You would see a whole new energy towards playing the options, for everyone would have a chance to win and by the time the Grand rolled around, everyone would be spread out to where they should be. What would it take to get the ATA to seriously consider something like this?? the beav

2. Em_One

Em_One TS Member

I have but one thing to say..

Putting 27 yarders on the 20 every year?? Why? Plus I worked hard to get to my yardage, and I work hard to maintain it, there's no incentive to be "reduced" every year.

3. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Nothing personal, but why does this come up every couple years? Do you really think it's necessary for Kay Ohye or Dave Schaffer to be put up on the 20 yard line? Do you really think you can compete with them on the 20? These guys have long runs in singles that last as long as you feed them shells, and to them, there's no difference in the 16 yard line and the 20.

At most large shoots, it takes a 98 to win a handicap event. Sometimes more. Most people can't hit a 98 from the 16 yard line. What makes you think there's anything that can be done to make these guys 'competitive' in handicap. I'll tell you -- nothing short of pouring more concrete and creating a 5 yard line.

You mentioned options - I sure as hell won't play squat if I see a guy who was on the 27 yard line last week now standing on the 20. That's what they call a sucker bet in Vegas.....

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Why all the threads about changing the handicap system? None of these things will ever happen. We could all stand on the 20 yard line and Leo and Sean would kick our butts every day from any yardage. Shoot for fun and forget the rest....and don't play the money unless you like being a "contributor".

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Now that's a new one on me. Nonsensical but new.

6. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

You could put Leo and the rest of the professionals on the 20 and their score would change very little if any. Remember...they break a 100 now from the 27 pretty regular.

The people it would effect most would be the shooters that are over handicapped at their present yardage.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Maybe a 35 or 40 yard hundred with regulation trap loads would fit in on the west end games and giggles? Cow pasture championships with all the goodies thrown in? Now that would modernize the game! Hap

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Man I don't know where dr.beav buys his bait? I don't know what they call that bait he is buying. It should be call Really Rotten Bait because I think he is going to get a lot of hits on that bait.......LOL

Bob Lawless

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Oy, cripes...

10. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Well, that got some interesting comments -- and yes, I think leo would really enjoy shooting from the 20 yard line for one shoot each year -- but, you know I would also bet a lot of us would tie him for that one shoot, and feel a whole lot better about the handicap game - the way it is you get trapped in one place and cannot move in either direction, and you get to where you just hate to shoot handicap; and, you find yourself skipping handicap in favor of something more enjoyable like doubles. Something needs to be done with the handicap game to keep interest up in it. the beav

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Ya like giving the AA a license to steal as in your first stated thought on the subject.

Bob Lawless

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

There's only one change that really needs changin'-how to make 95% of shooters competetive with the 5% who usually take their grocery money every weekend-if their foolish enough to play.

In the meantime, most of the smart ones have closed their purses and shoot Handicap for fun-not money!!

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Why do you want to penalize those 18-19 yard shooters?

Hauxfan!

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

All targets (singles, doubles, & 'caps) should be set at a minimum of 60 mph and 60 yards with the widest angle possible.

Curt

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Good bait......... I hear the clicker starting to move.. clicl.. click.. click.. WAAAAAAA FISH ON !!!!!!!!

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think we should make all the 27-yard shooters wear special glasses that make the targets appear blurry. The higher your average, the blurrier the vision gets.

Now THERE's a handicap system for you!

17. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Well sure I stand a very good chance of breaking 100 straight from the 20 yeard line, and probably you do too. Sure the big dogs would beat you in the shoot offs after the second 100 or so, but you would have at least been there -- have you been there latley with the current system?? I sure have not. Now, how about the 70% or so of the old timers that are standing on the 27 yard line, that cannot get scores higher than in the 70's??? Those old timers could probably get into the high 90's if they would just move forward -- and how do you save face for them and move them forward without their consent? A lot could be accomplished by starting everyone out on the 20 yeard line once per year and letting them shoot their way back each year. Put some actual thought into it - very few people are currently happy with the handicap system we now have in place, and I am one of them. the beav

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The handicap system is an attempt to "level the playing field."

But with some constraints.

Those constraints are, nobody shoots closer than the 18 yard line, and nobody shoots further back than the 27 yard line.

The system we have is as level as its going to get, given the current constraints.

To truly level the playing field, in order to assure equal probability that anyone shooting today would score the same as anyone else, you'd have to have some shooters shoot from the 5 yard line, and some shooters shoot from the 40 yard line.

19. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I would wager that the "40 yarders" would still kick a "5 yarders" butt most of the time. They are back there because of skill and confidence.

I would go a step further and say that a top 27 yarder would still shoot consistently better scores with 7/8 oz than a short yarder with 1 1/8 oz.

JMHO

Jim C

20. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Out of the box thinking always meets with scorn from many of the TS.com faithful. Instead of knocking a poster for his thoughts maybe it would be nice, just for a change, to offer something constructive to the post instead. How about everyone gets reduced 2 yards at the start of the season unless they have received 4 or more token punches during the prior year? JRM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.