1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Plastic Wads Through Cutts Comp. ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gyrine, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Any reported problems shooting modern plastic petal wads though a Mod. 12 fitted with a Cutts Compensator. Seems to me that the modern wads may want to open a bit before going back into the choke portion of the compensator. Do I need to worry? thanks. Rich

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

None. Shooters have been putting plastic wads through Cutts since the 60s

3. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Always wondered that too; why couldn't it hang it hang up?

Like a windjammer with all those petals?

Sounds like there is so much gas flow over the wad and out the comp that the wad gets ejected.

Do these cutts wads not travel as far as those from other guns?

thanks!

4. trw

trw Member

Like any choke or bbl., predicated on a combination of factors like the actual load's components inclusive of wad material, finish of choke & constriction there may or may not be some residue evident after shooting, but as far as it being a 'problem' using plastic wads, it is not.

A 'Cutts', by design, vents gas & some powder residue as do ports. Both will eventually accumulate some carbon soot. The gap between the muzzle end of the bbl. and the choke in either a Cutts or a PoWerPac [Cutts' competitor, back when] is insufficient for the wad to open enough for it to be an issue, but some gases & powder residue are vented by that air gap, so the ejecta [wad(s) & shot & any remaining gases and powder residue] that goes through the choke does so at a reduced pressure and at least in theory the shot column is not as likely to be disturbed by what would have otherwise been the 'full blast' effect w/no venting. Some very evenly distributed skeet patterns have been shot through bbl.'s fitted with Cutts Compensators & their 'Spreader' tubes, which were a type of rather short & open venturi. You won't see much residue in them, but the main housing body will still get fouled after some use, if not cleaned frequently. The PoWerPac bodies foul much quicker in my observation w/their chevron patterned vents & longer short range choke tubes. IMO, both should receieve routine cleaning w/a good solvent.

I've shot targets, patterned, hunted & played with guns with vented muzzle devices of one sort or another on & off for over 45 years. The above is based on my personal observations & experience.

Also FWIW, it is my opinion & observation that an 8 petal plastic wad [like a Windjammer or knock-off of same] does not throw a significantly different pattern from a 4 petal wad. I load both still, predicated on the hull & load I'm using, but the choke constriction has more bearing than any other component, all other factors [like shot hardness & normal 'target' velocities] being equal.

5. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

gyrine,

I have a factory cutts,20ga,Winchester M12,skeet and have been shooting it for 25 years with no problem. I never really gave it a thought until I read your post. If there is any ill effect,I've never noticed it.

best regards,

Patrick Swartz

6. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Thanks all. One less thing to worry about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best loads to shoot with cutts choke

cutts compensator plastic wadds

cutts compensator shoot plastic wadds

do cutts compensators pattern good

how to clen carbon from a cutts compensator

shooting the cutts compensator

what does a cutts compensater do

what wads pattern best using cutts compensator