1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model of the Ruger Luger 9mm ????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dr.beav, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - can any one tell me where to find out any information on the Sturm Ruger stainless steel Luger pistols they made in 9mm. I know they marketed one for I have seen them, but I cannot get any leads on any and I kind'a liie them. the beav

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Stoeger and Erma both made copies of the german luger style pistol, but I never remember any made by Ruger. I'll keep my eye open.

3. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Thank you for the information. the beav

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Bill Ruger based the design of his first .22 auto, the Standard, on the Japanese Nambu pistol. The Ruger Standard was later renamed the Mark I. Also, the red Ruger logo was changed to black within a year or so of introduction in honor of the death of Alex Strum in 1951.

The .22 auto displayed above looks to me to be one of the originals. All of the Ruger Mark I, II's or III's I have seen have had a black emblem.

I have owned several Mark I and Mark II's. The Mark I and Mark II 5 1/2" bull barrel target pistols are a joy to shoot and are IMO very accurate.

From this humble beginning came a firm that has produced over 20 million firearms.

Ed Ward

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Additional info on the Stoeger "American Eagle" Parabellums from the '90's can be found on the above site.

"The Stoeger American Eagle is made from precision stainless steel investment castings; CNC machined for a smooth, precise, fit and a corrosion-resistant finish. The stainless is finished in a pleasing combination of high polish on most surfaces, with a non-reflective gray sandblasted finish on the recessed areas of the frame and to the rear of the toggle handles. For the more traditionally-minded, the American Eagle is also available with a black finish applied over the stainless steel, to more closely resemble the original rust-blued finish."

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Ruger (and Alex Sturm) modified an old hand crank drill into the standard auto back around 1949. It is virtually unchanged to this day other than different magazine release, slide stop, loaded chamber indicator and a few other upgrades. Never made a toggle type gun but the standard auto has often been compared in appearance to the Luger. Interestingly, our first standard auto we bought for our shop in the fifties cost us $29 (retail was around $37 or so) and I thought in the seventies when they hit $64 dealer cost that the days of the auto were about done. Now the retail is well over $500 and they sell as soon as they hit the shelf. Great simple design, reliable, and pretty accurate. I'll pick up any one I find at a bargain price.

Also, you can't beat Ruger's warranty. It breaks, they fix it. Sent them a trashed Super Blackhawk and they replaced barrel, ejector rod housing, ejector rod, screws, rear sight, some internals and then refinished it. No charge. Don't know how many others do that. Now, if they'd just up production so we could make our customers happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.