1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model A horn

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Wahoo, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

This is about as far off topic as it can get but I've seen a number of posts from guys who obviously are familiar with autombiles. A 1929-30 Ford Model A horn has devolved into my hands. I would like to get it operating again to give to my grandson to use as a noise maker at his school's football games but of course it is 6-volt and 6 volt batteries are about as common as chartreuse unicorns. I dimly remember hearing about a way to use a 12-volt battery by running the current through some electrical device that steps the current down to 6 volts. Any one know of such a procedure and if so, exactly what parts are required and how are they wired?

Thanks.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about the battery being hard to find... A 'gel cell' would be perfect - no risk of leaking, small, less weight, etc.

http://www.batterysharks.com/6-Volt-9-Amp-F2-Seal-Lead-Acid-Battrery-p/6v-9ah-f2_ups6-9.htm?gclid=CPzjzYnMxrMCFcRU4Aodk3gAUQ

Found this one in about 20 seconds with Google...

Here are some more

http://www.batterymart.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BM&Category_Code=03-6-volt-sealed-lead-acid-batteries&SortBy=&show=48&pl=&ph=&char=

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got an old mid 70s Yamaha dirt bike that uses a 6 volt battery.
    Got a new one for it at "Batteries Plus".

"Amazon" has a bunch of different 6 volt batteries too.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You can also center tap a 12 volt battery. I saw that done some time ago when a person had a 6 volt device in a 12 volt car. He just found the middle connector, and ran a sheet metal screw into it with the wire attached.

Yes, I know, it's tacky. Just an interesting fact is all.

HM

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and get a 6 volt dry cell lantern battery!

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ditto on the Yamaha 6 volt. I have a ' 74 DT360 with 6 volt system. I replaced the battery early this year. Was $12 from some on-line store. They are small and light that would be easy to carry.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

AHOOOGHA lol

8. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Is the horn in good shape with it's original Sparton name tag on it? It may be worth more than you think. I would check E-Bay and find out.And buy a cheap replacement 12 volt AH OOOOGA Horn
    for the kid.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

6 volt batteries are fairly easy to find, Tractor Supply generally has them, they still use quite a few on antique tractors

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Get another 6-volt horn and wire them in series.

11. Mapper

Mapper Member

While like others, I would use a 6 volt battery, the thing you were asking about is a ballast resistor. When some cars went to 12 volt batteries, they still used 6 volt ignitions. It is a ceramic housing with a coiled wire inside. I have no idea where you might find one anymore, but a junk yard would be high on my list.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

6 volt lantern battiers are very common that will work

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

One of those old resistors burned a buddys car up trying to do the same thing. Get a new 12 volt one from Pep boys about $20. Jeff

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thought you were gonna clamp it under your barrel and press the button to call for the bird,..would be really cool I think

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

When I was looking for an original Spartan horn for my model A, used ones were about $200 and most need rebuilding. Eventually a friend of mine found one on a junked-out clown car at the dump...it was a Spartan, and it works and it was free.

Doug

16. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

Sams club had them the last time I looked for one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.