1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 94 Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cle, Aug 28, 2013.

1. cle

cle Member

A friend has what appears to be a standard Winchester M-94, 30/30 with the medallion shown below mounded on the right side of the stock. Looking to shed some light on what this might be about.

Any thoughts, ideas or knowledgeable information ??

cle_2008_03037.jpg

2. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have a Model 94 that I purchased in 1965, it is in the 32 Winchester caliber, with a nice Peep-Site. I have been told it has a value of around $375, not sure. I would like to sell it at some point, as I cant White-tail hunt anymore.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Interesting history. see link above. It was an incentive to buy the new 1984 Dodge pickup. You got a certificate that you sent in with $100 and got one of these rifles. If it is new in box and unfired, it might have some collectable value. If it has been used, then price will be more in line with any Model 1894 in similar condition. Mark

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Found this on the net,In Feb, 1984, I purchased a 1984 Dodge Marksman pickup. As an insentive, they gave me a Winchester model 94XTR, 30-30 rifle. It has an insert about 1.5" diameter in the walnut stock, that is gold in color, that says "1984 Dodge Marksman" with "Winchester". It has a gold colored sadle ring, and the location where you insert the shells is also gold in color. The stock is checkered and the magazine has swirl finish in the metal.

I have this rifle in the original box it was shipped in, and it has never been outside or a shell fired through it. It has all the paper work and look brand new.

When they gave me the rifle, the dealer told me that Winchester only made so many of these commemorative rifles.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Maybe some value to the right person, but post 64' 94's had about 5000 designated "special edition" commemoratives. I wouldn't doubt if they had a MLK "I have a dream" edition as well. If it's in truly mint condition, with original box, probably around $400.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Damn Tron ,you could screw up anything! LOL Jeff

LOL

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Now Tron may or may not deny this

I told him several years ago that working in a dealership was not a stable job regardless of if you were a mechanic or not and that living in Mich wasn't safeguarded by the auto manufacturers and unions

Trons reply at that time---"yea like a car dealership will go under and a mechanic cant find work is like Detroit going bankrupt"

Maybe Tron should have attached his caboose to MLK

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Typically "commemorative" guns like this one bring the same amount, or less than a comparable run of the mill unembellished gun.

9. Tron

Gene, stop substituting your meds for crack.....there IS a difference.

10. g7777777

LOL

Tron -- you didn't admit or deny

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. magic

magic Member

There were 4 versions. Bronze medallion that went to those whom bought trucks. Silver that went to dealers (each got one). Gold that went to 5 star dealers (again only one per 5 star dealer) and a platinum one who went to Lee Iacocca (only one). I had a bronze, silver, and gold one at one time. Sold them in my large Winchester auction I had in 2008. They brought $275, 350, and 400.

All unfired without boxes...

Jason

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The funny thing about post-64 Model 94 commemoratives is that some fetch a lot of money, while others have no enhanced value over regular 94s.

Back in the early 1990s I wanted a 16" trapper carbine. At the time a plain blued 16" 30-30 was not easy to find, and fetched a premium.

My gunshop buddy got in a used legendary Lawmen, which has a 16" barrel, and the receiver is nickel plated with antiquing applied. Stocks are higher grade and nicely checkered. Blueing is very highly polished.

It was priced cheaper than not only what a regular 20" carbine went for, but cheaper than the 16" versions too.

So to the horror of Model 94 collectors, I bought it and used it. Hard. It's pretty beat up. But collectors forget that Winchester made a boat load of these.

This is what they look like. This one is not mine.

brianinoregon_2008_030317.jpg

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

New '94's wholesale for nine-ish hundred. Go from there. If you have an older top eject in that Commemorative style, I would not take less than seven-ish for it. They won't be made again.

14. Oregunner

Quick, sell it to Shooting Coach for $650, and you'll both feel good. Mark

15. cle

cle Member

Thanks to all who shared useful information. For the trolls and those on here just to swap zingers............ well, as my sainted Grandmother used to say, "It takes so little to entertain some people."

Thanks again to those who helped.

16. Oregunner

This was a pretty tame thread, and I learned something. No harm in a few zingers. It's a forum. If it wasn't somewhat entertaining, it wouldn't be worth visiting. Hope your friend enjoys his gun with some new knowledge. Mark

17. Tron

Nice going Gene....I sure hope you're happy.

18. g7777777

hahaha to Tron and his lost MLK medalion opportunity- it may never come again

Regards from Iowa

Gene