1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

model 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sagepost2, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sagepost2

sagepost2 Member

I have a 3" model 870, it's an older one,and when i shoot 3" shells it jams as i'm trying to jack another shell in.Does anyone else have this problem?What can i do to correct this problem? Thanks Gary

2. jhoward

jhoward Member

Well, that's not much to go on, first thing I'd check is to make sure your receiver is made for 3" shells. Just because a barrel says 3" doesn't mean the receiver is made for 3" and if it's not the ejection/loading port won't be long enough to allow the opened 3" shells to eject.

Won't hurt the gun any, just have to futz with it to get the empties out.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per jhoward check the receiver make sure it's a magnum. Then drop the trigger assembly clean the bejabbers out of it, re oil then as per The Literalist scrub the chamber really clean and shiny. New ammo or reloads? Does it eject the fired hull???? And jam when the lifter is raising the new round?? If so measure the length of the FIRED hull to be certain it's not over 3", I have seen this happen before and the hull was longer than 3", changed to a different brand and that ended that problem. Don't know why but suspected the fired hull wasn't clearing the ejection port quickly enough and knocking the new round out of place a little. Keep looking you WILL find a reason, those 870s are one he?? of a good gun. Good luck! Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.