1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 50

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I just purchased a Winchester Model 50 trap. It is at least a 98% gun. (Even has the original Winchester recoil pad). My problem is that I shoot a release trigger and to use it for trap I would need to have it converted. I was wondering if I should try and buy another trigger group and have it converted. (This would keep the original trigger group in factory condition). However, I suppose finding a trigger for the Model 50 would be somewhat difficult to say the least. If I had someone convert the factory trigger to a release; can the trigger be converted back to a pull without too much difficulty? I have a Super X-1 trap and the Model 50 seems to be every bit as well made. Thanks. Ed

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a Model 50 and I had Phil Crenwelge do the modification to the trigger that prevents the gun from doubling. Phil is the best triggersmith that I know. I shoot a release trigger but my Model 50 is for the field and has a pull trigger.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ed, one of the guys here may have a release for your mod.50, hopefully? I'll look in my parts supply, I may have an extra pull trigger.

Once you get the release installed, you're gonna love the way that gun crushes targets! First thing you'll probably notice, is a lack of felt recoil! I have B semis, 1100 and several mod. 50s. The 50s seem to all have less felt recoil! I think the heavy action rod inside the stock tube absorbs a lot of recoil in making these guns work so well. Keeping them timed properly is very important too! Good luck with your's. Hap

4. esoxhunter

Thanks Hap. I figured if I couldn't find an extra trigger; I would do like miketmx recommends. Phil Crenwelge was going to convert my Super X-1 trigger; but then I was lucky enough to find a release for it. The Model 50 is a very nice pointing gun. That's why I'd like to get it changed to a release, so I can shoot it. thanks. Ed

5. esoxhunter

Got to have even more help. Would a Model 59 trigger interchange with the Model 50?? If it would I "might" have found a Model 59 trigger assembly that I could convert. Thanks. Ed

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Yes, a 59 will interchange with a 50.

A 50 trap is a nice shooter.

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Oh, and the 59 trigger will be gold anodized, if that matters to you.

8. esoxhunter

Thanks for the advice. I think I see if I can purchase the 59 trigger and see if Phil Crenwelge will convert it to a release. Ed

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ed, sent U a PM. Hap

10. esoxhunter

Thanks Hap. Will look for it. I just communicated with Phil Crenwelge and he said he could convert the Model 50 trigger to a release. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.