1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 50 Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have an original Winchester Model 50 trap. (Monte Carlo stock and a full choke 30" barrel). I really like the balance and feel of this gun. (Much better than my Super X1) I have been searching for a modified or improved cylinder vent rib barrel for this gun without success. I would like to use this gun for sporting clays; but of course the full choke 30" barrel would be a challenge to say the least. My question is; if I have Stu Wright or Briley place choke tubes in this gun would it harm the value? I had even considered having it reamed out to a modified choke. I just don't want to "screw up" a very nice gun. Thanks. Ed

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Like flincher, I don't think there's much of a following for these great guns. I know only one fellow that would buy nearly any one he saw for sale and he's a sporting clays enthusiast. All of his, however, are shooters and he couldn't care less about it's resale value. I'd probably do what I wanted with your gun. Were it me, I'd probably prefer opening the barrel some, perhaps between I.C. and Lt. Mod rather than tubes but only because I hate switching tubes all day at different stations. Didn't I read that Digweed shoots full choke everywhere?....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Send it to Stu Wright and let him thread it for chokes. He'll use the same S2 Thinwall profile as Briley, but his work is far superior to theirs and his chokes are the best you can get. I had him do one of my Mod. 50 plain barrels.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Stu Wright would be the guy you would want to do business with. He probably could clean up the trigger when he has the gun. Unfortunately, the Model 50 never had the following the M 12 did so it never had a collectors value. It is all steel, reliable but get info on the "floating chamber", this can rust and ruin the gun.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

tcherry: PM sent. thanks. Ed

6. rlh24758

rlh24758 TS Member

You can try Corson's Barrel 928-718-4282

7. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I agree, the Model 50 does have collectors value. Most like them in top condition and original. But the owner is its care taker, thankful we all have our own opinions. Our one girl would get all the calls.

Joe Woods/Ontario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.