1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 31

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hawk46, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

My first post, so I'll introduce myself first. Dave Heston, Lubbock TX. Born/raised Mansfield, Ohio. I shot trap one summer about 20 years ago, so it's safe to say I'm not a trap shooter. At the time, I felt pretty embarrassed and intimidated at the Bucyrus, Ohio trap range when all I had (and still have) to shoot was my Mossberg 500 28" MC field gun. While nobody insulted me outright, shooting beside the old timers with their Brownings, Perazzi's and FC Model 12's was unnerving. I remember I broke 3 birds my first round which caused me to park my gun in the clubhouse and watch the rest of the night.
    The experience angered me so much that I bought an Outers thrower, mounted it to a truck tire and started shooting shells by the truckload. By the end of the summer I was reloading on a progressive and averaging 20-23 birds a round at the Friday night shoots with the same gun, enough to at least be somewhat competitive from the 16 yard line. I then bought a 30" FC trap barrel for it, but never got to shoot it after I lost my job, moved to Colorado and got into muscle cars and hot rods.
    Now that I'm retired we're planning to move back to Ohio where I hope to take up where I left off, as I really enjoyed the sport. Hoping to trade a gun or two for a nice 870TC or 31TC or BT99.
    Sorry for the long post, but now for my first question: I picked up a minty Model 31 field 16ga, 28"MC years ago that strangely has a very nice grayed/game scene engraved receiver and I love the handling and how smoothly it cycles. I have heard that I can't interchange barrels on this gun because barrels were "fitted" to the actions. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, does anyone know if there has ever been successful 16ga shooters in competition?

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Mod.31s were "fitted" they can have a different bbl. fitted but then the original will not fit anymore, All mod,31 parts are difficult to find. A 16ga. will work just fine for trap shooting but ammo will be VERY hard to find. If I were you I would look for a 12ga. I'm like you I like Mod. 31s I have been shooting my 31 TC for 35+ years, I have others & have tried just about everything else out there but just like 31s the best. You will probably have to spend $600 or more to get a good one. If you want to talk 31s send me a PM with your phone# & a good time to call & I will call you. Ross Puls

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

There were at least three different variations of the Remington 31; the 31 series, the 34 series and the 41 series. The barrels will sometimes interchange but most will need to be fitted. A good gunsmith can fit a barrel by altering the barrel rather than changing the fit of the original barrel. A big problem will be finding a suitable 16 ga barrel as barrels for 31s are getting scarce.

5. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Thanks Ross. I've seen a few nice TC's and 8700's on Gunbroker recently but only for cash, no trade interest. An 870 on there now with really nice wood for 600. But he doesn't want a trade. I'm not a techy but if I have your email address or cell # I can shoot you a couple pics of my 16.
    Seen
    Se

6. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Thanks ou. I think you're right about the scarcity of barrels. I've seen a couple, but no trap barrels or trap wood. For all I know there was never a 16ga trap gun made.

7. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Hey Gary, can I get some pics and condition of these two guns to my email and an idea of what you'd need in trade value for each? I can't do cash right now until I get my house sold and see where we end up financially in Ohio. (Unless my Agent Orange VA claim comes through anytime soon - right.)

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

If your budget allows, simply buy a "proper" and dedicated trapgun. Trap is a 12 gauge sport anyway. The old addage, "used BT-99's make great beginning trapguns" holds true. That might be a gun to first consider. Recommend: Stock/unaltered barrel, 34 inch. Have a good 'smith tune the trigger. Add a little weight on barrel if needed; BT-99's are barrel light an whippy in my experience. Have fun.

Alternate choice: 300 series Beretta trap model. (auto loader)

BTW, I shoot an expensive and dedicated trapgun. I fear the "kids" that come out to the range with some experience under their belts with the parent-fitted and tuned BT-99 or old Perrazi TM-1. Those teenagers take names and kick booty! My "fancy" gun lets me pose better and not lose by as much!

9. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Thanks Chango. I looked real hard at a BT-99 when they first came out but wanted to get better before I could justify buying one. Never planned on the 16ga as a dedicated trap gun but I sure want to try it out there sometime, since I have a case of shells sitting around. I'd like to try the Mossberg since I added a trap stock and vented 30" FC barrel just to see how I do with it. Especially since I beat some high dollar guns with it (more likely being wielded by poorer shooters).

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Can't beat a nice 870 TC for the $$'s....

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Hawk46, I might be interested in that 16 md 31. I also might have something of interest to you for trap that we could do alittle horse_traden. Fire me an email or PM me a message.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Dittos.....Ljutic 73

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Hawk 46: would like to see your pics. I like those 31s, kinda collect them. As in above replies a nice 870TB or TC are one of the better choices, just about bullet proof & if something does ever need attention parts are easy to get. I have 870s but just prefer 31s, they were called the ball bearing pump slickest pump ever made ( mod. 12s a very close 2nd). Again PM me a phone # and we can talk. Good Shooting-- Ross Puls

14. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Pheasant, PM sent.

15. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Ross, PM sent.

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Hawk46: Your PM did not get through, Please try again. Ross Puls

17. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Ross, just emailed pics to you and Pheasant. Re-sent the email from this morning.

18. SX12

SX12 Member

I too would be interested in pics of your 31 and have a number of trap guns that I may be willing to trade. Love those 31.s
    SX12

19. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The engraving on your 31 sound interesting. I assume it is not original. You might post a picture so you can get some opinions. Muscle cars have increased in value much more than shotguns in the past 30 years. What do you have?

20. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Eightbore, emailed you some pics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.