1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 1912 16 gauge question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I picked up some guns this weekend to sale for my late trap shooting buddy's wife. One of these guns is an Model 1912 16 gauge that has a stamp on the barrel "for 2 9/16" shells only" I looked on the internet and found an article that talks about these guns and says most of these are bored long enough to shoot the modern lenght 2 3/4" shells thru them. Has anyone else ever heard of this? How would I check the bore to know? Thanks in advance Huntinandhotrods

PS this is just a field grade gun, but is very clean if anybody is interested. In the next night or two I will be posting it and several other guns that were his for sale with pictures

2. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I've got the same gun and get 2 1/2 shells from Cabelas. If you want to know how long the chamber actually is I would find a gunsmith that can measure it for you. By the way that is my favorite pheasant gun.

Steve

3. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

H&H- Model 12's came with 2 9/16" chambers in 16 gauge guns until 1926. The chambers were often extended to 2 3/4", and the gun was stamped as such. While this makes the gun more useful by being chambered for the most common ammunition, it also reduces your potential market because the gun is less attractive to a collector. I have 2 short chambered 16's and use 2 1/2" handloads in them. I would also like to see a picture of your gun. Hope this helps a little bit.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

H n H, while its quite possible that nothing negative will happen using 2.75" shells in this gun, do you really want to take the chance. I've got two and the one had the 2 9/16" chamber. I'm here to tell you that recoil wasn't significantly more apparent with it than the other. That alone made my decision to have it punched out.

If you really want to talk with a knowledgable smith on this matter I recommend contacting Stu Wright. He warned against using longer bullets in short chambers.

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Go to web sight of ( 16ga society.com ) Anything you want to know or need you will find their. 16 ga is a gentelmens gun for upland hunting. But will also handle about anything a 12 will. Wild Bill

6. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

Mine shoots 2.75 shells fine, I'm not too worried about that (especially since it's a light load grouse gun) - but the length of the spent hull of some brands won't eject well out of the receiver. If I recall, old Remington shells seemed to work but newer winchester and federal and fiocchi ran long.

However, Ballistic Products sells Fiocchi primed 67mm hulls pretty cheap, I bought 1000 and loaded them up (got a 16 g. MEC 600 pretty much for free) - they function perfectly, crimp well, and after 5 years I still have half of them left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1912 16 gauge