1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 1897 as a Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EEB, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EEB

EEB Member

I've never owned a '97, but I've always been intrigued by them. There's a very nice one near me for sale. Although the wood is very nice I'm thinking about taking off the butt and putting a new one on with a higher comb, if I got it. The thing is heavy, but it points nicely. Anyone have experience with these old thumbbusters?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes and have put a lot of rounds through one with a 18.5" cylinder bore. Great quail gun. I don't know about long term trap shooting with one of these but they use to do just that 'back in the day'. You may want to double check that the chamber is 2 3/4" - the one I have started out as a 2 1/2" gun.

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Why handicap yourself with "old technolgy"? If you just want to
    shoot for fun, Go for it. But if your serious about shooting
    good scores, it's the wrong choice.

4. C1

C1 Member

I shot on the '97 team at the '94 Grand. Used the 97 that my grandfather bought the year my dad was born. I did have the stock cut and put adjustable parts on it. It was a good time.

As to the "shooting good scores" comment, one of the fellas on the squad shot his a lot and won the Central Zone Handicap with a 99 one year along with breaking 500x500 in a singles marathon. I guess you just have to like "old technology".

My advice is to go for it, have a good time, but stay away from doubles. It does take some time and power to shuck.

Gary Riecke

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You have to look good doing it though.

bigmperazzi_2008_030326.jpg

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ssky buster, so a 97 won't shoot good scores? I thought it was the operator, not the gun. Musta been wrong all these years.

I have about 8 of em and they are ok for doubles, if the shooter does his part, no different fron a model 12 or 870.

GneJ

7. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Saw a gal named Chris, run 25 with one on sunday.

8. alec

alec TS Member

I have a 1897 winchester Black Diamond Trap if anyone is interested in it

Al

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Nice pic of Mr. Coffin. He is still going and is 98 now, I brought out my grandfathers 97 last week and shot a round with it! Lee is always intrigued when seeing old iron. He is very knowledgable.

10. BigM-Perazzi

Himark, I'm glad to hear he's still among us. Col. LEIGH COFFIN, a fine old civil war name. Picture from 2006 Grand.

11. himark

himark Well-Known Member

bigmperazzi...

Just had lunch and ran into Leigh. I showed him your post on my phone and he smiled....Asked him if he knew anyone that shot a Perazzi, "I dont know anyone that shoots that junk"and he smiled...I just LOL thought you might of liked his comment to.

12. BigM-Perazzi

13. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Hippie, Difference from 870 and M12 would be the lack of a VR unless an aftermarket one was added. On a warm/hot day that can make a lot of difference.

14. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

John M Browning shot one. Seen pictures of him with it and it was engraved and had a very nice piece of wood on it. Let's see---the guy that designed the superposed shot a 97---HUMMMM He must have thought it OK

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

OMG! Is Col. Coffin still shooting??!! I have met this man and he is Amazing! A fine gentleman and great conversationist. I wish him many more years!!!

16. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Slide Action, I don't think Leigh can shoot or drive anymore due to vision problems but I believe he is still active other than that.

jim brown

17. C1

C1 Member

Mr. Coffin was the driving force behind the '94 squad. When I told him I would like to participate he said he would help with getting a rib put on my gun, so he personally wrote a letter and sent the gun to Simmons for a "factory" rib. In the letter he stated that he wanted the screw slots straightened and to make sure it was a first class job as it would be shot and admired at the "97 event at the Grand. The gun came back and it is PERFECT. Mr. Coffin would never have accepted any less.

I haven't seen him in a couple of years and I miss that, however, I can still hear the Winchester history lessons he taught to the local shooters. He used to spend his summers at the Winchester Museum in Cody. He drove out to Cody in his white convertible. Nobody can take his place, he is truly the last of the true gentleman shooters.

Gary Riecke

18. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

C1, I can't quite remember the score you shot in the Clay Target Championship with that gun. Would you care to share that?

jim brown

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Neat, very neat.

20. C1

C1 Member

Jim, as I recall it was in the 160 something range. I can still hear the laughter from the bench. It was because the only post left was 3 and I never did like starting there. Oh, BTW, I still didn't have the best looking gun. That belonged to Mr. Coffin, a like new diamond grade with figured walnut stock that beats any thing I have seen on any gun to date.

GR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1897 good for trap

1897 good target gun

is the 1897 a shooter

model 1897 shotgun cody letters 1899

using 1897 as a trap gun