1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12's Have the Most Failures

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Model 12

Ha ha, my troll post...one would think so, Model 12's have likely been shot the most on the trapline over the history of the sport. In fact, I hope so. Question: How many of those guns were returned to service and how quickly? Therein was only part of the beauty of the gun.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stu Wright is my go to guy for model 12 Winchesters..

3. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Interesting. I always considered them a "forever" gun, like a 500 thousand mile car. An old skeet pro surprised me when he said it wasn't true. That they can do wear out. I am still not quite sure I believe him yet

4. Jamesquinn

Jamesquinn TS Member

Sure a M12 can wear out. Shoot it every day from the time you're 18 until you're 81.

I believe Rudy Etchen claimed he'd put two million rounds through his.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've seen 2 M-12's malfunction. 1 was a wornout firing pin (This gun was shot a lot), and the second was a timming issue and a big shell(that one was ugly).

I've actually seen a M-42 malfunction on the firing line. It had to do with a 3" shell and a junior chemist/reloading expert trying out Longshot in a 410.

No one was hurt in any of these instances. 2 of the three were operator error and the other was actually a worn out part.

ec90t

6. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

was at stu wrights today has a new pre 1964 trap mod 12 awsome!!!!! for sale

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

The ones that ware out are the ones that have never seen any oil. They are the best of the best.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I was shooting when M-12 were the predominant gun on the line. I have shot several M-12 and I like them. But things can break and wear out. I have broken firing pins, extractors and ejectors. They can be quickly replaced. Chamber rings will eventually need replacement after all of the adjustment is used. During the time M-12 were the popular gun, it was not common to find many shooters who shot 5-7,000 registered rounds a year.

Pat Ireland

9. Hollywood Marine

Hollywood Marine TS Member

I bought my pre 64 trapgun used and have over 200,000 rounds through it so far. I've broken a couple of springs and firing pins and an ejector, all quickly and easily fixed. It's a great gun, and will not be for sale in my lifetime.
    Doug

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Check the history Quinn! I believe Etchen shot a Remington! Tom Rhoads

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Tom, I would agree he was a Remington man. First w/ a 31 and then w/ an 870 if I recall correctly.

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

28 gauge Model 12s didn't function as well the 12s and 20s. They said the 28 gauge lacked the recoil to release the pressure thatlocked the bolt. That's why there was never a 410 Model 12. The Model 42 was made a bit differently to accomodate even less recoil than the 28.

13. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

First of all, I have come to LOVE Model 12's. I never realized how nice they really are.

My understanding is that their discontinuance is due to production cost, not quality or design.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Mahlon Schwar of Emmaus PA with 334,800 Registered Singles shot a Model 12 exclusively. While in his 90's and blind he could fumble through a box of parts and provide what you needed!!

15. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

I have two M-12s. I admit they get put up during bad winter weather but they see a lot of use spring thru fall. I have NEVER experienced a problem with either.

I plant the barrel of the first one about 10" deep in the garden every spring. As the tomato plant grows, I tie the stem gently to the "stake" for support.

My other M-12 has a rope tied thru the trigger guard. I throw it over the side and the boat stays put (even in heavy current or stiff wind) until I'm ready to move and I pull it back up.

Model 12's make the best tomato stakes and boat anchors ever! They aren't worth a d@mn for shooting.

sissy

PS to Chango2:

Now THERE'S a troll post for you, LOL.

16. samples

samples Member

I have {5) Model 12's, 3 of them with 32" Barrells. I started shooting Registered Trap with a Model 12, still shoot the gun on occasions, and it was made in 1926. I believe that "Recoil Sissy" has previoulsy mentioned that he started shooting with a Remington 1100. I don't think he has ever had the opportunity to shoot a quality gun such as a Model 12. I would also bet that Recoil Sissy had a more than adequate supply of Parts in order to keep the 1100 in operation and more likely just to finish a 100 bird event. I will keep a copy of this thread to show to our local Model 12 Authority at our club, and perhaps he might wish to purchase the two model 12's that Recoil has. SISSY: Expect a call from "GM" when he returns from Florida in a few weeks.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Production cost is the main reason Model 12's are not being made today, they are a masterful design that has never been considered outdated yet today ... Rudy Etchen shot a Remington 870 which he claimed to of shot over 2,000,000 shells in and it still looked like new the last time I saw it a few years before he passed away ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. racer

racer TS Member

My model 12 has so many rounds through it that is smokes out of the stamped letters in the barrel. Still smokes targets though (when I do my part) - Dan

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Model12s are like the classic VW Bug...ya never junk them...ya replace or rebuild whatever is worn.

Nothing points and swings any better! They absolutle crush birds...if the chokes are unmolested. Next time you are at a pot shoot....count the number of Mod12s on the line!

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Quinn, It was not Etchen who shot the M12 it was Arnold Reigger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.