1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dakota Bittner, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dakota Bittner

Dakota Bittner TS Member

I'm relatively new to this site joined months ago, but I haven't been back for awhile. I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on the model 12 I just purchased this past weekend.

The 12 gauge model 12 I bought the seller told me was made in 1916. However from what I have found the gun was made in 1914, which I believe was the first year that the model 12 was offered in 12 gauge. On the barrel it says Nickel Steel Model 1912. The serial number is 5 digits and is 56xxx.

If someone can verify what year it was made that would be appreciated. Also, what is the best way to find out what size shells the gun can shoot. I was told that the early ones could only shoot shells that were 2-5/8". From the way it looks the gun is all original.

Thanks for any help,

Dakota

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Dakota,

Welcome back!

If you can post a few pic's of your new beauty, it'll help the guys that know M 12's a lot.

ss

3. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

1913/1914 according to the 27th edition blue book

4. hebbard

hebbard TS Member

1914, according to the George Madis reference book "Winchester Dates of Manufacture"

Mike

5. teddytheyorkie

teddytheyorkie TS Member

according to this website its a 1914
    http://www.mchenry-sc.org/Engineering/Model_12.htm

MARK

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Dakota, Contact Stu Wright (618)357-8933. He is an EXPERT on mod 12s and may be able to help you over the phone with your chamber problem. I had an older mod 12 Black Diamond, sn 48889, 1914. Larry Evans

7. hebbard

hebbard TS Member

From Wikipedia:

"The majority of "modern" Model 12 shotguns manufactured after the 1930s were chambered for 2¾-inch shotgun shells, only, although some specialized models such as the Heavy Duck Gun Model 12 were chambered for 3" Super Speed and Super X shells basically a 3" magnum. Some early 16 gauge Model 12's, however, were chambered for 2 9/16-inch shotgun shells, the 12 gauge guns had chambers that were 2?" and the 20 gauges had chambers that were 2½". To add further confusion, some of these early Model 12's have subsequently been modified, with their chambers lengthened to accept 2¾-inch shotgun shells, while others remain in their factory-stock chamber lengths. Careful inspection by a gunsmith is always recommended to determine whether or not it is safe to fire a modern 2¾-inch shotgun shell in older Model 12's."

Mike

8. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I would check with a gunsmith or someone who really knows the M12 but my sources show that 12ga were all 2 3/4. 20s and 16s were short chambered in the early years.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.