Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Model 12...what is a fair price?

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  EE 
#1 ·
It's called a "Cutts" because it cuts the value of a gun in half as soon as it's installed. Mixed wood diminishes value too. 16ga is great for some upland hunting, and adds value to some collectible guns, but isn't useful for clay sports.

I'd say if you like it and want it just for hunting or fooling around then offer $100 - $125.

-Gary

#8 ·
There was a farm auction here in December and nearly the same gun in 12 ga with field wood sold for $560.

Doesn't really make them worth that, but that one was on that day.

Gary help ol' Lit out and give him a realistic number.

#9 ·
Rick:

Why don't you think my number realistic? Based on the limited info given, which was mosty negative, $100-$125 is a reasonable offer... IF the buyer likes the gun.

Your farm auction comparison is not valid. The gun being discussed here is a 16ga Cutts gun. The Cutts reduces the value at least 50%, and nullifies the adder which would otherwise be gained from the solid rib WS-1 barrel.

I don't low-ball people or want to make him feel bad, I'm just telling the man the truth. This gun is a White Elephant just like the 10-20 Cutts-ruined guns you might see at any average gun show (which nobody ever seems to buy).

-Gary

#11 ·
Lit- 1st of all don't insult me, there would ne no offer not to sue. I'd just sue the bastard.

Now that we got that out of the way, how much barrel would be left after the cutts was cut off? If there is 24-25" of barrel left you could choke tube it and have a helluva fun grouse gun to shoot.

When son Nick was working for Laib, he did just that w/ a solid rib 12ga M 12 that came in to the shop that Laib bought and then sold to him. It's his go to gun for grouse and pheasants.

#13 ·
Pat, I got the impression the Cutts was aftermarket. I have never owned a gun of any kind w/ a cutts and am not familiar w/ the installation. If the gun was a fixed choke gun w/ a 26" barrel, would part of the muzzle be rendered useless for CT's in the installation of the Cutts and assuming the owner did not request a shortening of the barrel? How's that for a covuluted sentence?!!!

#14 ·
The Model 12 16Ga is worth $300-$450 w/cutts extra cutts parts depends on what he has maybe another $75-$150.

Almost any Model 12 will bring $400 now a days.

I bought 2 0f them today,I paid a lot more than $400 a piece for them, I bought an extra release trigger for them, one was a Y model Trap, the other is a remarkable Model 12, w/engraving, being shipped to me monday.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#16 ·
Model 12...what is a fair price??

Now come on, Gary. Unlike some of these virgins, you've been around the block a few times. So you don't seriously believe that a 16ga Cutts gun with mis-matched wood is worth $375-$600, do you?

-Gary

#17 ·
I would say at least 300.00. I bought two 16's awhile back on AA with plain
barrels and poly chokes. One pretty decent for 285.00 and one really nice for
325.00 if memory serves. One with a 28" plain full choke barrel and some rust
and sanded metal just sold for 290.00.My top bid was 285.00,...oh well. Gun
show prices lately seem to be a situation where the ignorant look for those
who are even more ignorant than themselves to prey upon. A gun shop owner told
me once that he didn't expect to sell guns to gun enthusiasts. He said he sold
to Joe Average.

#19 ·
Lit, please give me a PM or phone call of the individual who has this 16 ga you speak of. I'm interested. I presume he lives in MO.

Martin Wilbur

785-822-7415

You guys speak of the ridiculous prices being asked for Model 12's at gun shows and what they bring at auctions. Have you been paying attention to the prices of them being asked here on ts.com????????????????????

#21 ·
Hitapair, you may be right. I don't know. It may have been switched when they put the polychoke on it? But at $250, the buyer wasn't complaining. The one The Literalist is asking about is obviously not original, either, so I was thinking it was a fair comparison.

EE

#24 ·
Well that Model 12 I mentioned is mine now. Paid $275 for it. The serial #'s match, and according to Blue Book, it wasn't made in 63, I don't know where that came from. It was made in 1929. The condition probably isn't equal to the one The Literalist asked about. This one is only about 65-70%. Only a few scratches, but much of the bluing is gone, and there's a good bit of oil in the wood in the wrist area. So, the question now is, restore? Or leave it alone?

Sorry to hijack your thread, Lit.

EE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.