1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12...what is a fair price?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's called a "Cutts" because it cuts the value of a gun in half as soon as it's installed. Mixed wood diminishes value too. 16ga is great for some upland hunting, and adds value to some collectible guns, but isn't useful for clay sports.

I'd say if you like it and want it just for hunting or fooling around then offer $100 - $125.

-Gary

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

SP, buy it for $125 and sell it to me for $250.

I'd guess it would bring $4-500.

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Rick, Now you sound like Big Shooter!!

4. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

With out the benifit of looking at it the mixed wood and the cutts I wouldn't go $400.

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

LOL...like he says "you've got to know how to do these things...someday you'll need to earn an honest living!"

6. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I've been thinking about starting to shoot trap. Hope I'm fortunate enough to find a gun just like that . . . as if I could afford it! Some guys have all the luck.

BB

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

RickN: You guess it would bring $400-$500, huh? That's funny right there. Not too bright, but definitely funny.

-Gary

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

There was a farm auction here in December and nearly the same gun in 12 ga with field wood sold for $560.

Doesn't really make them worth that, but that one was on that day.

Gary help ol' Lit out and give him a realistic number.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Rick:

Why don't you think my number realistic? Based on the limited info given, which was mosty negative, $100-$125 is a reasonable offer... IF the buyer likes the gun.

Your farm auction comparison is not valid. The gun being discussed here is a 16ga Cutts gun. The Cutts reduces the value at least 50%, and nullifies the adder which would otherwise be gained from the solid rib WS-1 barrel.

I don't low-ball people or want to make him feel bad, I'm just telling the man the truth. This gun is a White Elephant just like the 10-20 Cutts-ruined guns you might see at any average gun show (which nobody ever seems to buy).

-Gary

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I must apologize. I was just reminded that this gun features one of those coveted barrels I had previously methane treated. NOW it's definitely worth $400!

-Gary

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Lit- 1st of all don't insult me, there would ne no offer not to sue. I'd just sue the bastard.

Now that we got that out of the way, how much barrel would be left after the cutts was cut off? If there is 24-25" of barrel left you could choke tube it and have a helluva fun grouse gun to shoot.

When son Nick was working for Laib, he did just that w/ a solid rib 12ga M 12 that came in to the shop that Laib bought and then sold to him. It's his go to gun for grouse and pheasants.

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The wood box and chokes are worth 100 to 200 then part the rest for 300. Jeff

13. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Pat, I got the impression the Cutts was aftermarket. I have never owned a gun of any kind w/ a cutts and am not familiar w/ the installation. If the gun was a fixed choke gun w/ a 26" barrel, would part of the muzzle be rendered useless for CT's in the installation of the Cutts and assuming the owner did not request a shortening of the barrel? How's that for a covuluted sentence?!!!

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The Model 12 16Ga is worth $300-$450 w/cutts extra cutts parts depends on what he has maybe another $75-$150.

Almost any Model 12 will bring $400 now a days.

I bought 2 0f them today,I paid a lot more than $400 a piece for them, I bought an extra release trigger for them, one was a Y model Trap, the other is a remarkable Model 12, w/engraving, being shipped to me monday.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I just saw a M12, 16 gauge, with solid rib and a poly-choke, sell for $250 at the gun show today. It was made in 63 according to the serial #, which might have added a few bucks to the value.

EE

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Model 12...what is a fair price??

Now come on, Gary. Unlike some of these virgins, you've been around the block a few times. So you don't seriously believe that a 16ga Cutts gun with mis-matched wood is worth $375-$600, do you?

-Gary

17. uplate

uplate TS Member

I would say at least 300.00. I bought two 16's awhile back on AA with plain
    barrels and poly chokes. One pretty decent for 285.00 and one really nice for
    325.00 if memory serves. One with a 28" plain full choke barrel and some rust
    and sanded metal just sold for 290.00.My top bid was 285.00,...oh well. Gun
    show prices lately seem to be a situation where the ignorant look for those
    who are even more ignorant than themselves to prey upon. A gun shop owner told
    me once that he didn't expect to sell guns to gun enthusiasts. He said he sold
    to Joe Average.

18. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

EE- If it was a '63 serial # gun, I don't think the barrel was orig to the gun. Don't believe they made SR's in 63.

19. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Lit, please give me a PM or phone call of the individual who has this 16 ga you speak of. I'm interested. I presume he lives in MO.

Martin Wilbur

785-822-7415

You guys speak of the ridiculous prices being asked for Model 12's at gun shows and what they bring at auctions. Have you been paying attention to the prices of them being asked here on ts.com????????????????????

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Martin: There have been guns on Gunbroker for YEARS without ever selling. "Asking" price means nothing. It's what some fool is actually willing to actually pay that matters.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.