1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 w/Simmons rib question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by henrims, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henrims

henrims Member

Did model 12's come from the factory with Simmons ribs? What years were they available and are they fairly common? Were they original on the trap guns? Thanks, Mike.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mike: According to the book, "The Winchester Model 12" written by George Madis; Simmons was contracted by Winchester to do various projects on the Model 12. The production and installation of ribs was one of them. They found it cheaper to subcontract some of this work than to do it themselves. Madis reports that Simmons started production of ribs for the Model 12 in 1945. Through the years, up until production was stopped in 1963, Simmons utilized various posts under their ribs. These included the "doughnut posts", (in various configurations). Mr Madis supplies a lot of input in this small and compact book; regarding the Model 12. However, to judge if the rib is an original you need to assure that the proof marks are in line with each other. (on the sides of the barrel and receiver). If only one proof mark is visible, ( on the receiver ), it is very possible the rib was added later, due to the other proof mark would be hidden under the installed rib. (Plain barrel guns had the barrel proof mark on the top of the barrel and not on the side). Hope this helps. There are numerous respondents on this forum that know more than I about the Model 12 and am sure they will correct me if I'm wrong and might add other valuable information. Ed

3. henrims

henrims Member

Thanks for the tip. Anything else to look for? Mike

4. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

I believe that the simmons design ribs are either round post or round post doughnut base round post hence the winchester special vent ribs Richie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
did simmons do vented ribs for the model 12
did winchester model 12 come factory with simmons vented ribs

model 12 simmons

model 12 with simon rib
simmons model 12

simmons model 12 images

simmons rib model 12

winchester model 12 with simmons rib