1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12 "Y"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hard Cash, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Cash

Hard Cash TS Member

Between a late Model Winchester Mdl 12 and a Model 12 "Y", is one superior to the other mechanically ?

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

I don't know but it is said that the Y is better---I have both and can't tell any difference---SJB---

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

geees- you just as well ask which religion is better!!!!what a heavily discussed and opinionated topic!!!!

4. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

The pre "Y" model that I have, has a smoother action than the "Y" model that I had. You may notice that I said "had". I sold the "Y" and kept the pre "Y". The gun that I kept was a 1955 round post donut base trap model. In my opinion it was the better if the two.

5. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

I have three Model 12s; 1 "Y" Trap ,1 3"Duck and 1 Skeet. The 3"duck and skeet are 1960 versions. All 3 were NIB and it is hard to tell the difference.The Skeet may have a little smoother action

I did break a trigger screw on the "Y". I am not sure if that had anything to do with the fact that it is a "Y" or not.

Jim

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

I have always been told by model 12 owners that pre 64 model 12's were a better gun than the Y model 12. Reason, they were smoother, and supposedly had no stamped parts. I have had both guns, and the pre 64's were smoother. I knew a very well respected gunsmith in my area who's specialty was in model 12's. He said, although the Y models had stamped parts, in his opinion the Y model was mechanically a better gun. He is the only person that I ever knew that felt this way. All I can say is when I go to a gun show a pre 64 model 12 will usually sell for more money over a Y model. Like I said I have owned both. I would take the pre 64, maybe it's nostalgia.
    Steve Balistreri

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

The reason the older (pre Y models) are smoother is that they have been shot much more!

I own 14 Mod 12s ... skeet, trap and 3" ... and see no difference in smoothness.

I remember back in the old days when you bought a new Mod 12 ... you oiled it up and sat there, shucking it to smooth it up ... unless it was a Pigeon Grade (those were smoothed at the factory.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

So how do you differentiate a pre vs. post '64 model 12? The serial #? If so, what is the break point #?

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

No gun sounds as sweet as a pre 64 M-12 when the action is closed.
    Dave- the Y series (post 1964) can be identified by the letter Y at the beginning of the serial number.

Pat Ireland

10. Model12

Model12 Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

Y has an investment cast receiver.Less expensive than milled.This was anattempt to keep the price affordable. Not much else. Bob

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

One person I know who made it to the Iowa Hall of Fame and was a renown Model 12 shooter said that the Y model barrels were better.

Hauxfan!

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

One's a Model 12. They should have named the Y a Model 13 or some such. Keep me from wasting my time opening threads that say "WTS Model 12" and find out its a Y.

13. tburrey

tburrey Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

I have both Y and pre 64 model 12s and have shot thousands of rounds through both and other than a pigeon grade my Y model is a smooth as my pre 64s. If I worked the actions blind folded I couldn't tell one from the other. There both great guns. Tom

14. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Model 12 vs. Mdl 12

Yeah, but you can sure tell the difference with your eyes open. And when you go to sell/buy one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.