1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model-12 value

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by catfish dave, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catfish dave

catfish dave TS Member

I just got an old mod.12 from a cousin after the passing of her father. I would like to know the year of manufacture and some idea of value. It is a 16ga. 24in. plain barrel and full choke, LOP is 13 and 3/4. The serial number is 142008. The bore looks good and everthing works, there is light rust on the outside of the barrel and some moderate pitting on the reciever. The wood is fair--no cracks and could be refinished. I know it is hard to give a value on something you can not see, a ballpark figure is all i am asking. thanks Dave

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Dave, Just from memory of numbers, that gun is probably from the teens in age. You need to check chamber length, could be 2-9/16 in length. It's no heirloom or worth a great deal of money. You'll have some accurate info shortly on here I'm sure. Good luck, Bob

3. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

By the book production should be 1917 start serial number of that year was 136421 with 22978 being made. I hate to guess at value as model12's are always up and down but I would say around $300. If I am wrong try not to hang me by my toe nails.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It sounds like the barrel has been cut? either that or it is a special order

In the first instance- its probably work $150 or so and in the second instance it might be worth a lot

Gene

5. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Did you measure the barrel from the chamber end of the receiver? I think a full choke nickel steel should be 25-1/2". Is the stock curved at the buttplate? Does it have the original buttplate? If the stock and barrel are not cut, should be worth around $300 in the condition described. Probably worth about that much if you parted it out as well. Just my opinion.

6. catfish dave

catfish dave TS Member

The stock has a thick recoil pad installed so the stock has been cut. The barrel is 24 inchs from muzzle to the back of chamber and the bore diameter at the muzzle is .658. It seems short to me too, so it may have cut also. THanks everyone for your help. Dave Berrisford

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

As parts go the complete mag tube is $100 ,the reciever complete $150 to $200, so at least $250. Jeff

8. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Catfishdave, yes, the barrel has been shortened. M12 16 gauge full-choke barrels ran right at .639 inches. Because of the wide variation, from the .658 actual to .639, it was probably originally a 28" which was pretty much the standard length for full choke 16 gauge M12s. And it was originally chambered for the 2-9/16" cartridge which was the uiversal practice for 16 gauges until about 1929. If it has not been lengthened to 2-3/4" you can still buy 2-1/2 shells. I reload the 2-9/16" shells, including the roll-crimp, for my short-chambered 16s. Pain in the posterior but it is still is a lot of fun to do it.

The short LOP is going to hurt your sale. I know from experience as I have to shorten all of my guns to about that length and it costs me a lot in resale value but I have no other choice. If you decide to part the gun out, and I strongly advise you to NOT do this, I will of course be interested in the stock since it has already been cut. But please, do not part it out. Sooner or later someone will want a bird gun for his 12-year old and yours is just the ticket.

Now, for the posters who gave Dave a reading on the manufacture date of his gun, what is the year of manufacture for a M12 16 gauge numbered #89,XXX? I have one with this date that I picked up at a yard sale.

Thanks.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Serial nuumber 79,766 to 109,515 is 1915 . Jeff

10. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Jeff, many thanks. I bought the gun for parts, didn't pay much attention to the serial number at the time. It is only good for parts as someone has either brazed or silver-soldered the barrel assembly to the receiver. I guess that is one way to correct looseness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.