1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have 4 model 12's and like to shoot each of them periodically. However, I have went to a release trigger and am now limited to shooting just the one gun that has the release. I talked with several people that claim most Model 12 trigger groups can be interchanged. I have tried to interchange the trigger groups in my guns and they don't fit. Has anyone out there interchanged Model 12 trigger groups? Thanks. Ed

2. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

esoxhunter,

I've never changed trigger groups in any of mine (original equipment issue) but all the triggers that were pre 64 should slip into another per 64 reciever. The only difference in trigger housings is the later, they are cut at the rear where the screw goes more squares down not allowing them to fit down in the reciever. The Y model triggers are a perfect example, if you look at the tail where the screw hole is you'll see a big difference in shape. The only way I could be sure is to pull a few out and look and get back to you.

Do your triggers start normmaly and slip in the reciever and just not go down in the rear? If so this is the issue I'm trying to describe.

ol 12

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Trigger groups will generally slide into place but will not necessarily function as they should. I"ve had them where they wouldn't work the flipper properly, action wouldn't open smoothly, trigger was hard to pull, etc.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

These guns are all pre-64's; dating from 1957 through 1962. I have one trigger group that will interchange with another gun. (somewhat) However, it screws into the gun rather hard and it never really seats all the way; therefore the gun will not fire. My neighbor told me years ago he had 3 Model 12's and he could interchange trigger groups in all 3. It doesn't make sense to me. One of the trigger groups will not even start to enter the trigger assembly openings if you tried to install it in another gun. I talked briefly with Darrell Johnson, (Spears Gun Shop), and he said it is not unusual for Model 12 trigger assemblies to not interchange; without modifications. It really is upsetting that I can't use the release trigger in all of the guns. It gets a little "pricey" to have them all converted. Ed

5. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Keep in mind that pre 64 model 12's were hand fit. Making each gun a little different. It's really a crap shoot when mixing and matching parts. Sometimes parts will work interchangably, sometimes they will work better than the original, and sometimes they're not even close, and the year of manufacture doesn't really help when trying to find parts that will interchange. I will say that the guns made in the early 50's and earlier do have a little better fit and finish than the later guns and this make the parts a little more interchangable. The later guns generaly had a less time taken on final fit and finish, especialy 1,94x,xxx and later

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Most model 12 triggers were hand fitted to each receiver when made so they are all a little different. With that said most triggers will slid into an other gun but will not seat correctly. They can be fitted by a good Gunsmith I have 5 model 12 guns with release triggers and they all came from different guns so they can be fitted. I would contact Wrights they are the model 12 guys I trust.
    Model 12's are a disease one afflicted there is no cure.

Buddy AKA Cheif Big Black Cloud

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.