1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MODEL 12 TRAP RESTORATION....HELP

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KK, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KK

KK TS Member

I am just starting the restoration of a trap grade Model 12 and I am looking for sources for original factory stocks and original factory barrels. I need to find a 30 or 32 inch trap barrel hopefully marked Nickel steel (not a heavy duck) with a factory installed Simmons rib. I would also like to find an uncut factory trap stock with matching forend, hopefully with a straight English style stock. The ultimate would be to find a Black Diamond stock that could be refinished. I also need some suggestions on who to contact to have the gun finished with a bright polished rebluing and matted receiver top. Any help and guidance you guys can give me for this project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and just drop the exes on e-mail address above. Kirby

2. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

When you say "Trap Grade" what are you describing? That means to me you already have a Trap Mod 12, but in what configuration? When you say "Restoration" that means bringing it to it's original condition, or am I confused?

What do you have to start with so I can help direct you to good parts?

ol 12

3. KK

KK TS Member

OL 12 SHOOTER: I have a complete Model 12 shotgun manufactured in 1934. It is marked "Standard Trap" on the bottomside of the magazine tube. The furniture is checkered and trap style. The gun was factory made with a Cutts Compensator choke system and a two pin vent rib. In thinking about my terminolgy when using the word "restoration" to describe what I would like to do I think better words would be "rennovation and upgrading". My goal is to change the barrel to a standard 32 inch factory vent rib trap barrel and do away with the Cutts Choke. I would also like to upgrade the wood and hopefully find one in the English style. Last but not least I am looking for someone with the skill and talent to polish and reblue the gun and possibly engine turn the bolt. KK

4. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

KK,

ahhh ok.. I see a few problems you may encounter, one biggest being the barrel.
    That's a milled rib barrel and there like hen’s teeth to find, I've never seen one available. Then each rib is individually cut and fit to the barrel and receiver of the particular gun, there all a bit different.

I think if I were in your shoes I'd try to sell what you have and find a milled rib gun in its entirety to invest your time in. By going the route you’re suggesting your going to have a ton in it and may not like the results.

I like to find the ones that are solid and carried more then shot, then I take it from there.

The only original English type wood would be off the Diamond, and I saw a set go for over $500 a few weeks ago, and again like the rib, each stock was made to fit "proud" on each individual receiver and all receivers are not made alike so you might have to go the custom way on the wood. Metal work, Blue, and Engine Turning are not a problem.

I’m not trying to turn you off on the idea but yet give you something to think about before you step into the project. I’ve done and still do many of them so I’m trying to give you a bit of insight on that type of project.

Ol 12

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Mike's Gun Smithing
    1339 East Artesia Boulevard
    Long Beach, CA 90805

562-984-2529

Excellent gunsmith, his blueing looks like it was 6" deep and stampings stay sharp and crisp.

6. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Stu Wright is "THE" model 12 guy.....end of story. He does beautiful restorations and has all the parts.

Ken Rucker

7. KK

KK TS Member

Thanks to all of you for the names and suggestions. If anyone can add anything more it would be appreciated. ("Ol 12 Shooter")--do you think I am expecting a miracle by starting a search for a complete older gun in fair conditon with a factory 32 inch nickel barrel at a reasonable price. I have another Model 12 in pretty close to mint condition that is a rebuild of a 1924 32 inch nickel steel gun. Because of that gun, I was thinking that there may be another 32 inch beater laying around somewhere that could be given new life without a big investment. Thanks again to everyone. Regards, Kirby (KK)

8. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

KK,

The 32's are out there, have 2 myself and parted with one not too long ago but I haven't run accross one in quite some time. Let me know how you make out in your quest.

ol 12 (Don)

9. KK

KK TS Member

Thanks for all the help and thanks especially to Ole 12 Shooter for his advice. KK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.