1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Trap for Newbie?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Looks like I am going to get a dedicated trap gun to start shooting clays.

What do people think about my getting an older Model 12 dedicated Trap gun as a first trap gun?

How do I tell if it has been shot out?

If I get the gun sight unseen, and when I put it to my shoulder the two beads do not line up for me, what can be done by me or a gunsmith.

I expect to shoot 2 3/4". Does it matter if the chamber is 3"

Thank you

Lou

2. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

I have a few for sale, Are you interested in a build up? or Duckbill trap? jdlovejoy4@yahoo.com 330-705-8757 Josh

3. Bushmaster1313

I do not know the difference and I think it will be hard to buy long distance.

The most I can hope for from the Forum is advice as to whether a Model 12 Trap makes sense as a first trap gun and suggestions as to what I should look for, especially advice on how to tell if the gun has been shot so much it needs tightening or repair.

4. racer

racer TS Member

Newbie- are you a youngster or just know little about trap shooting/guns? It makes a difference in how I would respond. Dan

5. Bushmaster1313

I'm 52 and have a fair amount of experience with guns and shooting (pistols, rifles, shotguns) - but no experience shooting at clay.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The mod. 12 was one of the absolute guns of choice in past years. It's still no slouch and many are seen on the trap fields. As far as examining one and deciding on whether it's got a goodly amount of life left would require you taking it to a person with lots of experience with them rather than guessing. Going to big shoots will often find one or more available for sale on a rack and you can find the owner, request a test drive and see if you find it to your liking. There's always some experts (and some of them know what they're talking about) around at a big shoot for questions. I think you'll find most of the original mod. 12 trap guns marked as such and having 2 3/4" chambers. There are many mod. 12s that have been completely transformed from field guns to trap guns and that's how you might run across a 3" chambered piece. I'm not an expert on the gun and if any of my previous ruminations are incorrect, I'm sure someone will enlighten you. Me? My first real trap gun was a mod. 12 and I shot it for a good many years before making a silly move back in the 1970s....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

a model 12 is a great gun but a bt99 would be a great gun also. there are many around reasonably priced & fairly easy to sell if you want something different. go to your local club & tell the shooters of your intentions.i imagine you would get several offers of guns to try.dwain

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

There's nothing at all wrong with a good model 12 being a first trapgun. My first was a mod. 12 field grade and I still have it.

Regardless of which kind of shotgun you decide on, a stock that fits you is more important than make or model of shotgun or how much it costs! You'll break far more clays with a fitted stock on a so-so gun than an ill fitting stock on a mega-dollar one! Stock fit is the key to good success with any shotgun. Hap

9. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Bushmaster1313-A Model 12 is a great idea. The 3" chambered guns were known as Heavy Duck guns and you don't need to pay extra for it. Find a 2 3/4" chambered gun that fits you and enjoy. The other sugestions are also good, I recommend that you get one of each as well as finances allow and stop when you get a closet full.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

the 3 inch Mod 12s started out as Duck Guns! Many have been converted to Trap models over the years by Pot Shooters. They are heavy abd very tightly choked.

A lil bit of stock work and they shoot where you are looking. It is a wonderful shotgun!

I have shot just about every brand of shotguns, but keep commimg back to one of my Mod 12s.

In addition....you are not a real Trap Shooter....unless you own at least one Mod 12!

11. Bushmaster1313

Looks like it's going to be a Model 12 for starters.

If I find one that feels great except that the beads do not line up, what is the next step?

How do I tell if an old Model 12 is shot out?

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I suggest that you ask my friend Ahab for advice, perhaps via e mail. He knows the Model 12 very well. Offhand, and you can ask Ahab, I don't think a Model 12 can be "shot out", but can be "messed out" by a bad backbore, forcing cone job, indifferent choke opening, porting, and other so called "modifications". In worst case situation, some numb nutz let the bore rust..

A casual inspection should show: Tight bolt, tight lockup, and tight where the barrel meets the receiver. These guns are designed to twist apart as you likely know..for portability.

I'd not worry about whether the "beads line up" at first; see if the gun shoots where you look and that the gun doesn't bang you up etc. My personal opinion is that you look for a "shooter", that is a built up Model 12 that is in great mechanical shape and shoots the way you like...instead of spending money for a collectable Model 12, that is one with matching numbers, special engraving, three pin, duckbill, or whatever other kind of stuff floats the boat of a Model 12 collector. That way, you get a bigger bang for the buck.

Anyway, Ahab likely has forgotton tons more about these guns than I ever knew.

13. Bushmaster1313

Looks like I am going to get a dedicated trap gun to start shooting clays.

What do people think about my getting an older Model 12 dedicated Trap gun as a first trap gun?

How do I tell if it has been shot out?

If I get the gun sight unseen, and when I put it to my shoulder the two beads do not line up for me, what can be done by me or a gunsmith.

I expect to shoot 2 3/4". Does it matter if the chamber is 3"

Thank you

Lou

14. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

I have a few for sale, Are you interested in a build up? or Duckbill trap? jdlovejoy4@yahoo.com 330-705-8757 Josh

15. Bushmaster1313

I do not know the difference and I think it will be hard to buy long distance.

The most I can hope for from the Forum is advice as to whether a Model 12 Trap makes sense as a first trap gun and suggestions as to what I should look for, especially advice on how to tell if the gun has been shot so much it needs tightening or repair.

16. racer

racer TS Member

Newbie- are you a youngster or just know little about trap shooting/guns? It makes a difference in how I would respond. Dan

17. Bushmaster1313

I'm 52 and have a fair amount of experience with guns and shooting (pistols, rifles, shotguns) - but no experience shooting at clay.

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The mod. 12 was one of the absolute guns of choice in past years. It's still no slouch and many are seen on the trap fields. As far as examining one and deciding on whether it's got a goodly amount of life left would require you taking it to a person with lots of experience with them rather than guessing. Going to big shoots will often find one or more available for sale on a rack and you can find the owner, request a test drive and see if you find it to your liking. There's always some experts (and some of them know what they're talking about) around at a big shoot for questions. I think you'll find most of the original mod. 12 trap guns marked as such and having 2 3/4" chambers. There are many mod. 12s that have been completely transformed from field guns to trap guns and that's how you might run across a 3" chambered piece. I'm not an expert on the gun and if any of my previous ruminations are incorrect, I'm sure someone will enlighten you. Me? My first real trap gun was a mod. 12 and I shot it for a good many years before making a silly move back in the 1970s....breakemall....Bob Dodd

19. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

a model 12 is a great gun but a bt99 would be a great gun also. there are many around reasonably priced & fairly easy to sell if you want something different. go to your local club & tell the shooters of your intentions.i imagine you would get several offers of guns to try.dwain

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

There's nothing at all wrong with a good model 12 being a first trapgun. My first was a mod. 12 field grade and I still have it.

Regardless of which kind of shotgun you decide on, a stock that fits you is more important than make or model of shotgun or how much it costs! You'll break far more clays with a fitted stock on a so-so gun than an ill fitting stock on a mega-dollar one! Stock fit is the key to good success with any shotgun. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.