1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Trap - 3" chamber?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hallcw, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hallcw

hallcw TS Member

Model 12 Trap - 3

Need help.
    I have a Model 12 Trap made in 1940.
    The barrel has a 3 inch chamber.
    I've been told that Winchester made a model with a 3 inch chamber called "Heavy Trap".
    Can someone confirm that this is a true statement or should I assume that the barrel was changed.

Thanks
    CW hall

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Model 12 Trap - 3

I think someone is pulling your leg. The 3" is referred to as a heavy duck but are not stamped on the gun with that language.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Model 12 Trap - 3

Winchester did make a 3" trap model. I know where two exist and have been varified by Winchester. But the "heavy trap" is not a label that is used to my knowledge.

4. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

Model 12 Trap - 3

Being the gun has a 3" barrel I guess you could call it "heavy" and seeing it has a rib you can call it "trap" but Winchester never made a "Heavy Trap".

Winchester did produce a 3" Super-X Heavy Duck, a few had round post donut base ribs and were produced in a weighted field grade stock and forearm.

ol 12

5. dunerboy

dunerboy TS Member

Model 12 Trap - 3

winchester made the duck gun in grades, trap grade was one, it would have the word trap above the serial number and have a higher grade wood and would have checkering. cw

6. JHS

JHS TS Member

Model 12 Trap - 3

What is written on the barrel? The 3 " Duck guns clearly say 3in Super speed/Super X or something similar.

In george Midas' book on model 12s he says that you could return them to the factory when new and have them bored out for 3".
    Jim

7. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Model 12 Trap - 3

While it is possible to have a 3" vent rib trap looking m12, 3" guns were available with roundpost and rounddount base ribs in field ,deluxe and pigeon grades (per pg 236 Dave Riffles grates hammerless repeating shotgun ever made). The only vent ribs that were put on the 3" guns were the round post and roundpost dounut base. The earlier style being the roundpost dount base, wasn't introduced until the early 50's or guns in the 1,3xx,xxx range. The round post was discontinued in 60-61 guns in the late 1,8xx,xxx range. This said your gun can't be a factory 3" trap if it was made before 1953-54. Simmons the actual designer of the round post and dount base rib would intall these ribs as after market items. These ribs may or may not be market simmons gun specialties on the side of the rib just above the choke marking on the side of the barrel. Also Simmons would remark the factory proof marks in the locations that Winchester did for a small fee as the after market rib would cover the factory proof marks on a ribless gun if installed. Hope this helps

winchesterm12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.