1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 "Special Trap" ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Maineman, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maineman

Maineman TS Member

Model 12

Please correct my last...the designation is "Standard Trap." Anyone know anything about that designation?

Mm

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

Model 12

I think I've seen some M12's marked Standard Trap, on the reciever extension. Solid rib, usually 30" full, plain checkered wood. Some may of had straight grip stocks.

Wayne

3. Maineman

Maineman TS Member

Model 12

Thanks so far fellows, but I remain surprised to find this piece in 16 GA. Was 16 ever popular or regularly used in the trap game?

Mm

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

Model 12

16 ga. is unusual, but back in the day you could order any gauge and configuration from Winchester.

Wayne

5. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Model 12

You could special order a 16 ga. in trap. I don't think they were very popular. That being said I have a model 12 16 ga. that I built into a trap gun and it's a great trap gun. Mike.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Model 12

The Trap designation started as a "grade" below the original pigeon of which all early ones were engraved. There were even model 42's in Trap grade. Jeff

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

Model 12

i have had 2 model 12,s stamped "standard trap". both were 2 pin milled rib guns. neither had original wood. one was 698xxx serial number & the other was 688xxx serial number ,making both 1936 guns. standard trap was a grade of trap gun.the milled rib "standard trap" is much rarer than the solid rib. dwain

8. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Model 12

They made a 16ga. Standard Trap. Nice looking gun, but hard to shoot trap with, too little & too light for an adult.

9. Maineman

Maineman TS Member

Model 12

Based on everyone's input, I think I've found a fairly rare piece.

Thank you all,

Mm

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Model 12

It may be a Junior Trap. Rare and desireable. Would have short length of pull and a Jostam pad. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

model 12 speical trap