1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by b12, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Is their any regular model 12 shooters left on this forum. Seems like with the different trap guns I have been shooting the past 15 yrs I'm thinking about going back shooten the Model 12 on a regular basis for a while.

I will say my best and regular averages were with the Mod. 12. Anybody here went back. Wild Bill

2. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I don't shoot it regularly but I have an old M12 field gun that I shoot as well at trap as any other gun I own.

Steve

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Not a M12 but I went back to my M31 after trying SBTs--O&Us--Semi autos, still shooting it 35-40 years now. Never was a good shot but just feel more at home with a pump. So if you like it & shoot it well, enjoy your good fortune. Ross Puls

4. dontate

dontate Member

I have had several model 12's and they all shot well. The only reason I retired mine is that compared to my Ljutic the recoil is nasty. Once you get a gun that has a bit more weight and fits well there is a very noticable difference. Regardless the model 12 is still probably the best shotgun ever made in my opinion.

5. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Kind of funny this topic comes up now. Decided to shoot my Model 12 for the winter league this year, it's old, beat up,a little loose,rough around the edges but it absolutely smokes the birds. First winter league event was today and It smoked 49 birds and then I dropped the 50th. This one must fit me right as I don't think it recoils that bad.

After the league is over I think I'll treat it to a trip to Stu Wrights for a little freshening up and then use it for the summers ATA shoots.

johnr_2008_300848.jpg

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I shoot both my Model 12's on a regular basis. Sometimes I'm hot, sometimes I'm not. I also shoot a Winchester Model 37 and a Browning Broadway. I like to rotate them. For me, shooting only one gun would get incredibly boring, no matter the scores. Too much same-ness.

LA in MA

7. MR870

MR870 Member

It makes me smile when I see others talking about pumpguns.I've had other high dollar shooters but my $200 870 has made me more money than my Beretta or k80 ever did.What's even better is when I beat the pants off of a sporting clay shooter with the pump gun.K80-$9k,Perazzi-$7k,Beating them with a $200 dollar 870 Shuck-o-matic---PRICELESS!

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Everytime I pick up mine I keep thinking why not. I'm not sure I'd enjoy shooting 100 Nitros through it on a regular basis or shucking Doubles anymore. Maybe as we get older that old Model 12, which tends to be much lighter that any of todays' trap guns, might be easier to handle. Now, if I wasn't so frugal, I'd order one of Wenig's All-American stocks and look out world!!

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I shoot mine on a regular basis. Every Sunday when the sun is shining i'm on the line with it.

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Over the years I have been forced to turn to a backward trigger as friends call my release. If I could figure how to reset the release on a Model 12 with my left hand wrapped around the release bar, I would go back to shooting it in a heartbeat. Do they make any left handed releases for one?

Big Jack

11. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Have owned a couple of high $ guns went back to my model 12 with a soft touch for trap. Have a 3" Duck gun for hunting.

I love the things!

Jim

12. LONGSHOT

LONGSHOT TS Member

When things are not going quite right, grab the old 12 and head out to the trapline. It will always put a smile on your face. My 6 diget SN was made in 1917 and the other day one of the young shooters asked me if I bought it new. Big laughs from the peanut gallery.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A properly fitted Mod 12 DOES NOT KICK!

well................

Maybe a bit when I use my "Annie" loads!

14. larryjk

larryjk Member

Maybe the reason an old Model 12 feels so good it reminds you of when you were a lot younger and had a higher average. But nothing beats one of my Model 12s.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A model 12 with a fitted stock and added weight is nothing but pure pleasure to smoke clay targets with! Kind of gun doesn't make it recoil harder, weight and stock fit does all that.

Hap

16. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I bought a slightly used M12 trap gun (1948 vintage) a couple of years ago. Briley installed thin wall screw in's, and Mark Deprez installed an adjustable comb and a Jones adjustable pad. With 1 oz. loads, you couldn't ask for a sweeter 16 yd. or handicap gun. But how those old time shooters broke 100's in doubles with a M12 is way above my meager skill level. We have two shooters at our club who have been shooting corn shellers for 30+ years, and it is a treat to watch them crank out mid 90's doubles scores.

Mike

17. cjkostic

cjkostic Member

I just picked up a Model 12 -- 30" barrel with 1/2" wide rib. I am going to give it a whirl for a while, assuming I can shoot it. It has a left-hand large head safety. Anyone want to trade for a right hand safety?

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Back in the 60's, most shooters shot model 12's, 31's, 870's, Brownings. Around 1970, Perazzi's and Kreighoff's started showing up in our area and that was the start of the above mentioned guns being put away in closets.

The All Americans started using the high cost guns and a lot of shooters wanted to be just like them. The Perazzis and Kreighoffs are very good guns, but a good number of shooters would actually shoot better with their old model 12's, 31's, 870's and Brownings. The shooters who shelled out high dollars for the newer guns continue to try and shoot them to justify the high cost of purchasing them.

I believe, and it is just my opinion, that a good number of shooters would shoot better going back to their old guns. Some shooters feel that if you are shooting a high priced gun, fellow shooters will think more highly of them. Truth be told, what impresses most good seasoned shooters are good scores, and not the gun you parade around with. End of story.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.