1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12`s with Cutts Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Feist Hunter, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

I have a chance to purchase a Model 12 Skeet with a Cutts choke on it. Actually a 12 ga. and/or a 20 ga. with factory Cutts according to the 77 yr. old owner. How do you tell if it is a factory installation? And, I know a lot of folks do not like the "Tootsie Roll" on the end of the barrel, any other opinions?

2. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well--they make make great shooters and Cutts really hurt the value of the Model 12's. Guns that left the factory with a Cutts installed will have NO choke markings on the barrel. If it says full or modified or even WS-1 and has a Cutts--it was put on AFTER it left Winchester. It decreases value--in my experience by 50%.

3. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I have two model 12s with cutts, a 12 and a 20gauge.
    The 20 gauge was a faactory installation and the 12 gauge was a add on.

In their day cutts equiped model 12s were the the skeet gun of choice.
    I enjoy shooting skeet with mine when I visit the dark side.

The cutts do lessen the value of the guns.

ed.

4. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Is it possible or practicle to remove a Cutts from a Model 12?

Jim

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

They made for great bird hunting guns. Dial a choke as you changed covers. Shoot often while we can, Bob

6. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Like Boomer says. Although I have one that I'm pretty sure is factory since it was not re-blued and it is stamped CYL. Not all factory Cutts had the machined on the barrel flange like P3AT is describing. The way I understand it there was a period post-machined flange during which Simmons was doing the installs for Winchester pre-bluing. I cannot say what truth there is to that or not.

I like the things - they make great trap guns with a proper stock.

Charlie

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Depends on the other squadmates classes . LOL, Jeff

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I stand corrected Flincher. Having a couple of both I typed in haste without thinking. Glad I've never done that before:)

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

M12s & M42s which had Cutts Compensators install "at the factory" had no choke designation on the barrel.

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Yes Some wer documented as NIB guns with choke markings and factory cutts. Jeff

11. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

Sounds like there are variations in the Cutts factory vs aftermarket installations and opinions. I seem to remember from the Madis book that, as Pat says, typically they had the smoother flange and no choke marking on a factory install but as is often pointed out there were countless variations during the M-12 production. I shoot original 20 ga. and 12 ga M-12 skeet guns now but am interested in a Cutts model since it was a part of the Winchester history and so popular at one point of the M-12 lifecycle. How do they pattern with the "skeet" choke?

12. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I bought an 1100 with a Kolar comp on it, same as a Cutts. It smashed targets, but was very loud. I actually prefer the "dial-a-duck.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Best damn Skeet choke ever made!!

14. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

Kenny Barnes of California was the first to shoot a 4 gun 400 straight using Cutts equipped model 12's and a mod. 42 I think also Cutts equipped. They throw great patterns, particularly w/ shells w/ no shot cup just overpowder wads or such as the old Winchesters with a simple shot collar. They also significantly reduced recoil and generally the noise only affected the other shooters not the individual shooting. A real treat to watch with the breaks looking like the target was thrown up against a wall,shattering in small pieces and falling straight down ,seldom powdered or blown through and a single "clack" when the gun is cycled.

Chuck

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

MGM: Cutts guns work, so if you like them and plan on keeping one long-term then GREAT. But understand going in that the Cutts knocks at least 50% off the value of the gun. Cutts owners get really annoyed by that number but it's straight out of Fjestad's BlueBook. In my experience the true value reduction is closer to 70% unless you can wait years to sell it. Aside from finding a sucker, the value of a Cutts gun is basically its parted-out value.

If you have a local gun show you often attend, do an experiment: Note all the Cutts guns and who's selling them. Then look for those guns again next time. Unless the prices are 1/3 of BlueBook for non-Cutts version or less, chances are those same guns will still be there next time, and the time after that, and the time after that. At our local show there was a "seller" who had the same rack of four Cutts guns on sale for 5-6 years. Three of the four were in great shape and two of those were M12s, so he thought they were valuable. This clown became so directly associated with those four butchered Cutts guns that many of us used to refer to him as "Quad-Cutts." The ladies who ran the consession stand used to ask us about him, rooting for him to become "Tri-Cutts," but the guy simply could not unload one. They probably buried him with those things.

-Gary

16. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

Ive always heard them referred to as a Fob

17. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

The model 12 with a cutts was a great shooter and only hurt the next shooter in line and I am speaking of skeet. The model 42 along with Remingtons 1100 410's were really better than shooting a regular barrel as it would really give you a better reference point on the target. I shoot skeet with 2 all americans who still shoot 1100's with a cutts on them in the 12ga. and they avg over 99.5% every year.
    I shot them for a short while before going to a K-32 4 barrel set but I kept the 28ga. and it has a plain skeet barrel.

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

MGM: Don't overreact. Nobody said anything about "throwing one out." A nice M12 Cutts is worth money for wood and parts or can be married up with a barrel which hasn't been butchered. They also make good shooters for those who like them.

-Gary

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Buy it wih the Cutt's already on it !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cutts compensator for trap and skeet shooting on model 12 winchester
cutts compensator history
cutts xompensators standard on winchester model 12

model 12 winchester factory cutts barrel

winchester model 12 cutts compensator